NEEDED HELP

CHAPTER 34

Needed Help

Hound hated long missions, especially when they lasted the day. After a day of hard fought battle against the Decepticons, the sounds of the base were welcome to him. It may have been a hypocritical thought, as he loved the rush of battle, but lately he had more to miss out there. He hadn't even seen Mark that morning, having left him under the watchful eyes of NEST Personnel and equally watchful optics of Sideswipe. He quickly checked his internal clock and noted, with relief, that it wasn't too late, and not past the boy's designated bedtime, he still, at the very least, had time to visit and enjoy time with his son.

As he drove inside the base, and into the hangar he quickly found Mark. The boy was seated on one of the military vehicles and talking to Sideswipe as they both stared off to the side. Hound didn't even need to look to know that Coulton was there, but as he transformed, his suspicions were confirmed. He gave a faint glare towards the man before approaching the younger Autobot and his charge. "He hasn't said or done anything has he?" Mark stared up and smiled as Hound approached and shook his head "Good, because I'm tired of his slag."

"Grimlock was hanging out earlier, and everyone knows he and I are tight." Mark replied "I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to be saying anything with him around." Hound chuckled in agreement, no doubt Grimlock would eat him for that one "That and Sideswipe kinda made it pretty clear that his blades would skewer him if he tried again."

"Not literally. I just showed 'em off a little." Sideswipe stated at Hound's look of worry "I'm not dumb enough to verbally attack him in any way. I'm pretty sure he'd have all of our afts in jail." Mark smirked a little at his guardian, who seemed to smirk proudly "But still gotta keep doing my job as guardian, right?"

Hound smirked back, nodding in definite agreement. Protecting Mark definitely included protecting him from people like Coulton. Hound turned to Mark and carefully picked up the human, smiling as he held him close to his chest. "So, I suppose today went without incident?" Mark nodded "Good, because I've had a rather long day in the field and I'd rather not deal with aftholes today."

Mark laughed lightly and leaned his head against his foster father's chestplate. He was definitely happy to have Hound around for the first time that day, even if the narrowed eyed Coulton didn't seem to be. "Mostly, anyway." Mark shrugged his shoulders a bit "We had a paintball war, but I mostly got myself washed off. And that was pretty chaotic."

Sideswipe pointed at Mark. "The kids got a nice shot, if he doesn't make it as an artist, maybe he'll be a soldier."

Hound shuddered at the thought of Mark being drawn into their war as a NEST soldier. If it was what Mark wanted, it was something he would fully support no matter what, but he wouldn't be happy. "Nah, not a chance." Mark shook his head "I'm not even a violent kid, I'll leave the fighting to you guys. I mean, I never even want to think much about firing a gun." He then added "I'll stick to learning basic hand-to-hand and sword fighting from you so I can protect myself, thanks."

Hound tried to hide the breath of relief as Mark said that, depositing the boy onto his shoulder. He looked ready to add to the conversation when he heard someone's throat being cleared behind them and turned around slowly to face Coulton. "Can I have a word with the two of you?" Coulton asked in an almost disturbingly calm tone to his voice "Without the hostility for once."

Hound snorted a little at that, finding that hard to believe. But he still crossed his arms, and stared out at the man quietly a moment before speaking. "If you insult me or my son once, this conversation is over." Coulton glared at him, but quickly changed his expression "What is it that you want Mr. Coulton?" Hound clearly strained himself with the formality of the title.