FUN AND PANIC

CHAPTER 35

Fun and Panic

After the many black tie events that his father had made him go to, Mark was somewhat-relieved he could go in civilian clothing this time. The Autobots had been informed it was only a semi-formal event with the kids being dressed in their "Sunday best". But knowing that many of these kids didn't have the nice clothing he was provided with, so he had dressed appropriately in a plaid shirt with the top button unbuttoned and a nice pair of jeans. It was enough to make himself look presentable as a guest of honor, yet not enough to flaunt and make it look like he was above any of the other foster kids there.

It helped, of course, that the charity event was at a large park on the other side of town, meaning most were dressed in the same fashion. . Though, the other Autobots were understandingly parked nearby in case anything went wrong. "We are so, so honored that you could both make it." They were told by an older man for the fifth time that day as they followed him through the park, Hound in his holoform "Your unique story really brought tears to our eyes when we read it in the paper. How you Autobots took in a boy of..." He chose his next words carefully "An enemy."

Mark shrugged, not seeing how special it was exactly anymore. They hadn't taken him in for that reason, they had taken him in because they liked him, and what was more, Hound loved him. Hound however, put his arm around his foster son's shoulders, and nodded slowly. "Well... As Autobots, we don't discriminate based upon history." Hound explained "All that matters is your heart, or spark being in the right place. And I knew Mark's was from the moment I met him."

"You're overselling it." Mark tried to help, his voice low enough that only Hound would hear him.

Hound sighed, that was one thing he couldn't do. But he honestly could not help it, he was nervous. A lot was riding on this event and the last thing he wanted to do was screw it up. "What I was saying..." Hound "cleared' his throat "Was that Mark was a good kid, and a good kid deserves a good home. Something that I knew I could provide." He then added "There are enough people homeless or orphaned by our war, the most I could do was to see to it that one of them has a bright future ahead of them."

"With that extremely generous donation that NEST has made a lot more futures have been insured too." The man nodded, a smile spreading on his face as they watched some smaller children running around in face paint "You're right, Mr. Hound, there are far too many orphaned and displaced children, even before you ever arrived." Hound nodded his head "It's my dream that someday we can find a permanent way to fix that."

Mark nodded his head at what the man was saying. He agreed with that definitely, he had only spent a short time on his own, but it was far from the highlight of his life. It had been lonely, quiet, and depressing, especially while he was getting over his father's death. He felt Hound squeeze him slightly, knowing that he must have dug into his thoughts, and smiled a bit. "Now, your ceremony will be in about four hours." The man announced "Until then, you're free to join in the fun, and please do."

As the man finally left them, Mark smiled and put his hands into his pockets. "So, what do you want to do first? I think I saw some carnival games a little further down, I bet that would be fun." He then added "I used to be the king of the dart game back when..."

Hound nodded his head, allowing Mark to lead him towards where the "carnival games" seemed to be. There turned out to be no dart game, so instead, Mark settled for a balloon popping race of some kind which involved shooting water into a painted clown sculptures mouth. "So were you pretty good at this game as well?" Hound asked as he stood behind Mark "Or do you want your sharpshooter of an old mech to try and win ye something?"

Mark shook his head. "No, Hound, trust me, I got this." Mark licked his lips with anticipation "Besides, my competition is a six year old, and a ten year old. You think I'm gonna lose?" He then added "Fat chance."