AT LAST

A/N: So originally the aftermath was going to be one chapter, but I feel like a few are needed. So you'll get a few more chapters than I expected, though not many.

...

CHAPTER 60
At Last

Things had moved slowly in Dallas after the battle had ended. For the most part, many stayed behind to help treat the wounded, and rescue those who may have been trapped. Though Hound and the Autobots had wanted to leave soon, they realized quickly that Mark and Alexis also needed to be tended to, and thus stayed to help a little longer. Hound kept a close eye as doctors looked over Mark, given First Aid, who had survived the NEST Base attack, was tending to the severely wounded. But within a good three hours, both kids were okayed, and the Autobots moved out from the city in hopes no anger would be directed at them.

Since they had nowhere to go but Washington DC to sort things out with the government, they'd dropped Alexis off at her home before leaving to a pair of very worried parents. As she'd suspected, her father had already promised to ground her for two months. When she'd asked if she would be able to see Mark still, her father looked quite unamused. Not the best way to start out their relationship, but at least Mark had already figured out their relationship would always be anything but typical. Even so, Mark did not have the guts to kiss his newfound girlfriend goodbye before he left.

Instead, he'd settled for a verbal one, and a promise that he'd return. Before he'd gone with the Autobots and what remained of NEST to the assigned aerial transport to the nation's capital. Mark and Hound didn't leave each others side by that time, with Hound letting him sleep against his chestplate as he held him. To say the least, Mark welcomed the embrace of sleep after the long and nightmarish past few days he'd experienced. Around midnight, after most were in recharge or asleep, Hound and Optimus were left awake, watching the forms. "How's the boy holding up?" Optimus noted. "I can see that he was looked at and attended to."

Hound nodded, indeed, he had been cleaned up and given fresh clothing. How they'd done it so quickly before they'd left Texas was beyond him, but it made Mark more comfortable, all the same. "He's holding up. He was a brave as slag little soldier out there though," Hound chuckled. "So needless to say I think his muscles gave out," Optimus smirked, and gave an amused chuckle. "Ye think they'll let me keep him after all of this, right? I stand by my decision before all this went down," He explained. "I don't want him to be taken from me, Prime."

"If he is, we'll fight to get him back," Optimus placed a hand on Hound's shoulder comfortingly. "We have all fought hard to protect and rescue him today. If the government cannot see that we are a good family for him, than they are most definitely blind," He explained. "You make a wonderful sire, Hound, do not let anyone convince you otherwise."

Hound smiled as his foster son snuggled deep into his armor, snoring quietly. Gently he lowered his lips, and gave the boy the gentlest of kisses on his forehead, careful to be careful not to crush him. "I like to believe that," Hound rumbled. "I love him more than life itself, Prime. It's like Primus gave me a second chance, and I'll be slagged if I blow it."

"You won't."

Hound nodded his head, and allowed Optimus to now sit beside him. He felt stronger when his old friend encouraged him, and now was no exception. As a part of him very clearly felt that he could and would keep Mark, and raise him. He wanted that, he wanted to have Mark forever, and with any luck, the government would let it happen. "I know, sometimes I just worry," Hound noted. "He counts on me, and puts his faith in me. I can't help but worry."

"I felt the same way about Bumblebee," Optimus stared over at Bumblebee, who was recharging in a corner. "And people fought us, probably for the same reason. Yet I never gave up, and now I have a creation who I am truly proud of," He noted. "I'm more worried about the human's reaction to this. If it is quite terrible we may be forced to go "on the lamb" again."