TAKING A TROPHY

A/N: And it's back! A little explanation for the lack of updates. Basically this is nearing the end, and A Whole New World was at the end. I didn't want to write two finales at once. And thus I finished A Whole New World, which was already at the ending first. But now, A Matter of Fate has returned for its final chapters! :D

...

CHAPTER 53
Taking a Trophy

The day that the entire world came crashing down in front of Mark started like any other day. On that day, he had brought Alexis to base for the day. And it began peacefully enough, with the two of them sharing a bowl of fruit while sitting on top of the roof. About mid-way through her fourth strawberry, however, Alexis sighed, and ceased her action, turning to look at Mark. "You must think I'm a jerk," Mark raised an eyebrow. "This is my third time here, ad I still haven't even kissed you, yet."

"I get that you want to go slow," Mark replied, his voice low. "Don't worry about it."

Alexis carefully pushed her red hair out of her face, turning to look at him again. He caught the look in her eye, carefully reading it. He wasn't sure whether or not Alexis was coming toward a point or not. "I like you, a lot Mark," Alexis began calmly. "And your family is great," Mark nodded his slowly, unable to argue with her. "But I also kinda know how this stuff goes. I fall for you, and someday you join up with this whole organization..."

"I'm getting published as an artist," Mark replied. "I'm not the fighting type."

"But you're being raised around the Autobots," Alexis explained. "Someday, you might just decide that's what you want. Not a normal life as an artist, with a girl like me who's nothing special-."

"You're an amazing hacker, what do you mean you're not special?"

Alexis sighed, huffing a bit, Mark wasn't making explaining herself easy. She scooted closer, and looked him in the eyes. As Mark sat there, expecting an answer of some sort at any moment. "I know you like me, Mark," She explained. "But are you sure with this life of yours you can settle for a small town girl? I'm never going to be as exciting as-."

Mark surprised her with a kiss, their first one. And at first, Alexis was shocked, and ready to slap him. But at the same time, as he leaned into her and pressed hard against her lips, she didn't want him to stop. "I'm not settling for anything," Mark told her quietly as he pulled away. "You're who I want. Not some "exciting" girl, or a soldier," He muttered. "Just you and me, and whatever else that means."

Alexis smirked, as if she needed convincing of that now. She blushed a bit, and looked back up into his eyes. "Anyone ever tell you that you're an amazing kisser?" She muttered, trying to catch her breath. "Alright, you have me convinced, barely... But I still want to talk," Mark frowned. "I like you like that too, but I think we're going to have to figure out how to make this work easier. Without me getting stared down by a giant t-rex for starters," Mark laughed a little, and then Alexis turned her head. "What was that?"

Mark stood to his feet at that, his head shooting down towards what she was talking about. His eyes quickly widened at the sight he saw: Coulton, being led with what looked like a military escort, cuffs on his wrists. "I'm going down there," Mark muttered, getting down from the ledge and onto the surface of the roof. "Promise I'll be right back," He explained.

"I'm coming with you," Alexis insisted, getting down as well. "About time I was around for some decent "action"," She added.

Mark nodded a little, allowing her to take his hand. He smiled, leading her down the steps to the main hangar, and straight for where Coulton and his escorts were. Most of the others had already gathered there, but, letting Alexis's hand go finally, he began to push his way through the gathered crowd. Eventually his eyes caught sight of Hound in the procession. "Dad!" Hound turned his head at Mark's voice as the boy stormed forward. "Is that really him? Did they get him?"