Chapter 9: Lost

-Shizuo Heiwajima-

Ever since Izaya had come to Ikebukuro, everyone seemed to accept him. What they say as the truth, the artificial blonde saw nothing more than pathetic lies.

And now, he was proven right. Because right now, he was in the middle of Ikebukuro, alone, except for the one person infront of him.

Izaya Orihara. Standing. He was so different from when he saw him for the first time about three weeks ago. Besides the obvious difference- the lack of a wheel chair- the man infront of him right now, compared to the man he saw just the other day wasn't the same.

The first time that Shizuo saw his old enemy in his beloved town, he couldn't help but take in his appearance. His features were decorated with a small smile- most would see it as a mischevious smirk, but if you bothered to look a little closer, one would easily notice the lack of malice intent.

Even the way he sat in his wheelchair, was something worthy of observing. Despite the disability, he still had a somewhat proud air about him, but somehow, his posture gave off a friendly vibe.

The way his body was completely relaxed in the wheelchair, along with his head resting on his left hand as he watched Shizuo with an amused twinkle in his eyes- it would make anyone want to get to know him better.

And lastly- there were his eyes. Those carmene pools that held so much history behind them- anyone with those eyes would be expected to have experienced some unforgettable journey of some sorts. Yet somehow, they almost seemed pleasently lost- as if the man that wore those eyes wasn't sure where to go next, but was still so excited for whats to come.

But despite all that confusion, he still smiled- that tiny playful smile, that made the area next to his eyes gently crinkle- it was the kind of appearance that would intrigue anyone.

Now Shizuo wasn't one to take in appearances. Anyone that knew of his relationship with Izaya, would expect him to see red if he ever spotted the ravenette. Even the ex bartender himself thought that. But he was wrong.

He remembered it all too clearly- when he saw his old enemy, his breath got caught in his throat. And even though he would rather die than admit it- he took a few seconds to appreciate the living and breathing person infront of him.

So he wasn't dead.
Shizuo hadn't killed a human.
He wasn't a monster.

Those thoughts were immediately put to a stop though- it was as if his mind started working again, the gears in his head spinning quickly as he took it all in- his enemy was back.

But things weren't that simple. Izaya had to go say something that would echo cruelly in Shizuo's mind for a long time. The sympathetic look and gentle tone that came with those words only made it worse. He still recalled it clearly.

"Shizu-chan," he had started. "This is a wheelchair." That's when his mind went completely blank. He was the one that put him in that wheelchair. The artificial blonde didn't know what to feel- what was he supposed to do? Did that flea even deserve a sliver of sympathy?

Ever since that day he couldn't stop thinking about what actions he should take. But all his worries right now were leaves in windy weather. They were picked up, and taken far, far away, to some unknown location, as the unruly, howling wind couldn't be controlled.