Chapter 26: Track You Down

-Shizuo Heiwajima-

6th January
10:01am

On that wintry day, the city of London along with its people was peaceful. Despite the gloomy clouds that draped over the city, threatening the residents with a furious downpour, the day was a tranquil one. Tourists gawked at the shops and architecture, restaurant owners were doing their best to make their establishment look its best, and the cobblestone streets were filled with individuals, with things to do and places to go to in their heads. Everthing seemed perfect.

And yet there was that one thing that seemed just a little out of place. And that thing went by the name of Shizuo Heiwajima. He wasn't known for having cheerful moods, but on that day and in that particular hour, he seemed worse than usual. With a final glance at the unreadable signs around him, and a sigh of defeat, he sat down on a bench that had a fountain right behind it. He was probably in some small plaza of sorts.

As he looked around and saw all the people bustling around him, he determined that he was indeed very pissed off. Because it didn't matter where all of them were going to- probably for their jobs or some stupid errand. He on the other hand had an important task to complete, and that was to find a particular ravenette. And yet he didn't know where to even start looking. He fished a cigarette out of his backpack almost automatically, and the brief fact that he had been smoking more frequently lately struck him, but he pushed it to the back of his mind and took in a long drag after closing his eyes in peace. It was almost as if he was back in Japan for a moment. He furrowed his eyebrows. That thought wasn't reassuring at all. He didn't want to go back home without Izaya. Because Ikebukuro without Izaya...

He decided to not finish that sentence for his sake, and was pulled back into reality when he heard the annoying sound of laughter. He wouldn't have given a damn of course, but only seconds later there was a thump, and a deafening splash. He dared to hope for a moment that the feeling of water going through his clothes and leaving trails of water down his skin was an illusion. Sadly it wasn't. He opened his eyes immediately, angrily getting away from the bench, and then he got even more angry when he saw his backpack was wet too. He had all his valuable stuff in there! There was emergency money that took years to save up along with some chipping in from Kasuka- hell his passport was in there!

He grabbed the bag and pulled it to his chest, before looking at the brats that caused the entire problem. A group of four teenagers were nearby the fountain laughing like ideots, while another one around their age was in the fountain dripping wet. He seemed miserable. A vein throbbed in Shizuo's forehead. Eventually, one of the guys stopped cackling and acknowledged the blonde's existence.

"Sorry old man!" He said as he gasped for air after laughing so hard, "You should have stepped away, don't you think?" Shizuo of course didn't understand a word of what he said, but he spent enough time with Izaya to know what taunting sounded like, no matter the language. He got even angrier when he realized that their main victom was an innocent kid. He seemed so dejected as he slowly made his way out the fountain. "Oh I see. You guys are bullies, huh? You like hurting people that have never done shit to you right?" He seethed, grabbing the metallic bench while their laughter died down. "Well I hate bastards like you!" The bench got ripped off its hinges, and he flung it in the general direction of the teenagers.

On second thought, flinging a projectile at strangers in a foreign country wasn't the best of ideas. After he calmed down a little, he was satisfied that none of them got hurt cause they apparently managed to dodge it, but he effectively shut them up, and they were scurrying away like little whimps. It was only when he looked around him that he found himself frozen in place. Everyone in the plaza was looking at him, in the way one would look at a lion of they were trapped in a cage with it. Well fuck. Shizuo had really done it this time, hadn't he? From a distance, five police cars had their alarms blearing, before coming to a stop just a few metres away from Shizuo. He could already feel a headache forming in his head. He for sure as hell couldn't reason with them because of the language barrier... maybe he could make a run for it? Ok no, on closer inspection they had tazers.