Izaya's Past: Part (V)

Japan Niigata,
3 years ago,
12th November, 8:27am

On that particular day, Izaya payed no mind to what was happening around him. The school bell from the building next to the office was about to ring, people were filling up the hospital once more, and life passed by like it usually did. But, as he stared outside the window, with dull eyes and furrowed brows, anyone around him could tell he was in a bad mood. You see, it was raining on that day, and so his personality was more foul than usual. He just wanted to brood in peace, but no. Some people were just too annoying to allow him that pleasure.

As the school bell rang, it announced obnoxiously that it was the start of a new day, and the door burst open to introduce once more a very peppy Yuina Maki. "Good morning Izaya," she greeted cheerfully as she walked up to him, "What are you doing?" She asked innocently, but he remained silent, his gaze fixated on the window showing the dull world outside. So after a few moments, she grabbed a nearby stool and sat next to him, resting her elbows on the window ledge just like he was doing.

They stayed like that for a few moments, before she spoke up. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" She mused out loud, and Izaya bothered to give her a sideways glance. "That's debatable." He muttered dryly, and it caused the brunette's lips to twitch into a smile. "Really? Well tell me Izaya, why do you dislike the rain so much?"

The ravenette scratched his head awkwardly, not sure of how to put it into words. "Well...it's dull. And melancholic. Depressing too."

It was a painfully short and simple response, an argument that a three-year-old would have used, but at least his words were honest ones. He had hated it ever since he was young, and he couldn't really explain that, could he?

"Okay you might have a point there," she admitted while twirling her hair, "but don't you think that when the rain stops, the sun shines brighter, and the flowers seem to be more colourful?" She wondered out loud, to which Izaya could only nod his head to. Of course he knew that the rain was necessary.

"I still don't like it." He said stubbornly, turning his head sideways to look at her properly. "That's fine too. If it annoys you so much, there is a particular song that makes it leave faster. 'Rain rain go away, come again another day.'"

The ex informant looked at her as if she was crazy, before slowly turning his gaze back to the window. He smirked. "I think it just got worse." He snickered, and she just laughed. It was a cheerful, genuine sound. It was almost enough to make him smile because someone twisted like him managed to make someone as pure-hearted as her be happy for a fleeting moment.

"Well then, how about you use it sometime Izaya? If you believe in it, it will work. That's the trick you see," she said as she walked away, checking her desk and trying to sort out the papers.

"You expect me to trust your statement? Believing in that sort of stuff doesn't actually do anything you know." He remarked matter-of-factly, but if it was possible, her smile only got sweeter. "I know, but believing in that sort of stuff is fun you know. It almost makes you believe that whimsical things like magic exist."

How did she do it? How did she fantasize like a small child without seeming like a blithering idiot?

"I hope you know magic is non-existent." He said wryly, as he raised one of his brows at her. "Eh, that's not completely true. Some things simply feel magical, right? For example being very passionate about something can feel nothing less than magical." Her voice almost drifted off, as if she was remembering something.