Chapter 29: Colour

-Izaya Orihara-

1st February
12:34 pm

Izaya, to his dismay, had spent a lot more time at the circus than he ever wished to. And ever since a few weeks ago, he had to advance in his ability to walk normally once more as Kiyo had decided that he wanted him to perform in the circus. To do that, Izaya had to be in top shape, and his sisters (who were enjoying their stay a lot more than he was) had decided to be his personal motivation coaches. That mostly consisted of Mairu yelling at him to walk faster as they didn't have all day, and Kururi trying to shut her up. And when the ravenette every snapped back by stating that if he put too much stress on his legs he could lose all usage of them, she would reply with something along the lines of him having nothing to worry about, as he probably already had one foot in the grave.

But despite all the mayhem that the Orihara siblings caused at the circus, Izaya didn't mind the constant company that his sisters provided him, and for a few moments, life at the circus seemed like a temporary resort of pure serenity. Of course, he wasn't naive- he knew they had to go to Japan as soon as possible, but he hadn't advanced in any sort of plans at all. Sometimes he considered just staying at the circus without trying to leave since there was no real threat, but the guilt of not even saying goodbye to all his friends in Japan got to him.

But he had never missed Ikebukuro anymore than he did a few days ago. It was the 28th January to be exact. Shizuo's birthday. If he was still in Japan he would have annoyed the artificial blonde all day just because. He would have teased him cause he had just turned 30, without acknowledging that he would follow suit in just a few months. In order to cheer himself up, he got his sisters to get him a card from the town, and after writing his own message, he ordered them to take it to the post office.

He of course could have done that himself, but he wasn't exactly allowed to exit the area of the circus to go into Norwich on his own. That was practically the one rule he thought he had to follow- never leave the circus. Or else, he might be endangering the well-being of his sisters. After all, this all started when Asuka threatened to kill Shinra and Celty with a dose of poison in their sleep- he didn't want his sisters to be in such danger because of himself anyway.

But now, at a time like this all those thoughts dissipated along with the cold winter wind. Tonight was going to be his first performance in the circus after all. He had a simple job, one that came to him like a second nature- knife throwing. And since he needed versitility to move comfortably, he didn't have some outrages outfit. Instead he wore a sort of suit, with a dark crimson button up vest, and a long tail coat that reached up to his knees. He had a top hat too, with a single red ribbon on it- the rest of his outfit was of course black.

He was re-arranging his white gloves and making sure his daggers were sharpened before Nova came up to him, wearing the same outfit she had on when he first met her. "You nervous?" She chirped, and Izaya could suddenly hear the loud crowd forming in the tent a lot more. They were currently in the main tent too, but at the back there was a room that could be considered back stage. But the ex informant wasn't exactly nervous... he never minded being the centre of attention. People were easy to entertain anyway, and now he could at least stand and walk quite well as if nothing was ever wrong in the first place.

"Nervous? All I have to do is throw a few knives at a target. I've done it plenty of times before. The only different thing now is that people will probably be cheering me on," Izaya said seriously, as he recalled all the chases around Ikebukuro in which he threw many of his favourite folding knives at Shizuo. He only stopped checking his blades when he heard giggling from the individual next to him. "You sure say the strangest things Mr. Orihara," She replied enthusiastically, before the bright circus lights turned off. "Ah that's our signal. Lets go get ready in our positions," She explained while pulling him forward, until they entered the area in where they would perform. It was almost pitch black, and in the darkness he could see the figures of the circus members moving around to find their places, while the hushed whispers of the crowd kept his surroundings anything  but silent.