Chapter 21: The Last Day

-Shizuo Heiwajima-

3rd January,

It was about four in the afternoon, as Shizuo's gaze wondered from Izaya to Erika, as they were currently taking down the christmas decorations. So he sat down on one of the stools in the kitchen, and wiped a layer of sweat off his forehead with his sleeve.

It's not like he didn't do his part anyway, since he had just finished taking down the christmas tree, he thought as he drank some water, allowing it to refresh his dry throat.

And yet, despite the company, and his tired appearance, his mind was restless. Izaya would be leaving tomorrow. It was... a little tough to process.

Not that it meant anything. He simply got used to the company. Allowing himself to get used to the ravenette around him just made him realise that the ex informant wasn't that bad. That's all there was to it.

"Shizuo? Are you ok?" It was the voice of Erika's younger sister- Heather. She had come with the brunette to help with taking down the decorations, but she clearly got side tracked.

The artificial blonde simply smiled at her, before patting the chair next to his, silently offering her a place to sit down. Shizuo wasn't exactly fond of young children, but Heather was a slight exception.

"Why do you ask?" He told her playfully, smiling all the while, trying to get the younger kid to crack a grin. "Well you look a little sad." She simply stated innocently.

Shizuo only rose a brow. "I'm smiling silly! What about that is sad?" He asked, amused by the young girl's concern. Heather simply fidgeted slightly with her arms before looking up, "You're smiling but... the smile doesn't reach your eyes."

The string of words rung in Shizuo's ears, allowing his lips to morph into a lopsided smile, "You're a smart one aren't you?" He complemented, ruffling her hair a little, causing it to get slightly more tangled at the top.

The young tyke simply nodded her head, almost proudly, before she spoke again, "My older brother used to smile like that too... he was really sad. I don't want you to be sad about the same reason." She spoke innocently.

The ex bartender's eyebrow quirked up, and even though he didn't want to pry, his curiosity got the best of him. "Why was your older brother so sad?" Heather simply looked at her older sister, who was on the other side of the room, and then she spoke lowly.

"I don't think I'm supposed to tell you, but I trust you," She leaned in closer, as if this was top secret information, "My brother used to have a girlfriend."

"Used to?" Shizuo asked uncertainly, before realization dawned on his face. "He missed her a lot for a while... he used to smile like you... do you miss someone Shizuo-kun?" She asked, concern laced throughout her tone.

The artificial blonde huffed a sigh. "I uh... I do. Well I guess, I will miss them tomorrow, once they leave." His gaze left the girl, and went on Izaya, who seemed to be laughing heartily as Erika put some coloured tinsel from the tree on his head.

The ravenette noticed Shizuo's stare, so he shot him a cheeky smile, and the artificial blonde laughed slightly under his breath.

"Izaya, right?" Heather spoke out of nowhere, startling Shizuo slightly. The ex bartender was a little surprised by the young girl, if he wanted to be honest.