Chapter 25: Daft

Note: "I almost drove into a few pedestrians, but besides that I think I did pretty good without a licence!" She chirped optimistically. Izaya rose a brow, while he mentally took note that he was probably going to die in this three hour drive.

~~~~~~~~~~

Gloved hands lazily pressed the sleek black keyboard of the laptop, until the screen flickered, showing live footage of a modern apartment that had stylish furnishing and jaw dropping views of a city that was once his home. A smile pulled at his lips. So this was were that rat had been staying at. He was almost jelous- the kitchen alone was something he couldn't afford, even if he chipped in all of his life savings.

The artificial, blinding light from the laptop provided some visibilty in the darkness, although it made an irritating contrast with the soft drapery of the small tent. Right next to the modern device, was a candle with a flickering flame, as melted wax trailed its way down the sides. At this rate, it was going to be more entertaining to watch than the footage. Had she managed to install only one camera? Hmph, he shouldn't have such little fate in her. The others might still be offline.

After a few silent moments, the flap of the tent opened, and he could hear someone coming in with muted footsteps- he could practically hear the soft padding of flesh making contact with the carpeting of the tent. He didn't bother turning around to greet his visitor. "Honestly, have you never heard of shoes?" He mocked, while his fingers covered in cloth tapped gently on the table surface.

"Shoes? Oh no, they wouldn't like that, certainly not. Besides, they mess up my feet you see? Last time I wore them, I thought my toes had escaped." The reply came out, with an almost panicked lilt, as the words were fastly spoken. He wished that he could have been appalled by such an odd reply, but he had heard stranger things spill out from her mouth.

"Well then careful were you step, I don't need you dirtying my carpet," Was his response, and he would have continued to complain and command, maybe even throw in a few insults while he was at it, but suddenly two people walked into the kitchen. Well... one person walked in. The other seemed to be lacking her head. "Blimey, a dullahan. You were actually right." He breathed silently, intently watching the two figures go about in distress.

"Did doubt clog that brain of yours? Oh no, dear me that's bad- the fates are never wrong you see, they don't spout lies- not the one," She mumbled, while probably playing with her fingers or doing dramatic hand gestures to prove her point. At her words, he snickered. "The fates aren't wrong? Aren't they the same thing that made you lose a few screws from your head?" He bothered to get up from his chair at this, pulling his attention away from the laptop and focusing it all on her.

It's not like he wanted to insult her or anything, he did consider her an acquaintance after all. But he just wanted to see for himself- just what made her tick? "Are you implying I'm insane?" She tilted her head and gave him a lopsided smile, red spectacles glinting in the candlelight. "I must admit, I like to think everyone is a little bonkers." He hummed in amusement, and was about to make another comment, before she opened her mouth once more.

"That footage. Is it showing the residence of your current victom?"

"Correct."

"The raven with the devil's eyes, am I right? Surely I am- they always tell me the truth, certainly they do." His eyes widened by a fraction. "You knew about him this entire time? Why didn't you tell me? You could have had useful information." He stated calmly, while he took his black cane, running his pinky along the smooth wooden material.

"You never asked of course." The reply lacked a teasing tone, it was said with absolute innocence, as if what she was saying was obvious. He sighed, feeling too tired to deal with her character at such a late hour. "Why did you come here? Did you need anything?" He asked while he turned back to his screen, were the two people still remained, seemingly going through a mid-life crises. As he looked closer, he saw a painfully familiar circus poster on the counter. Now that could cause problems. Oh well, he told them they could make the game as interesting as they wished to, so he couldn't complain much.