Chapter 35: A New Beginning

1 year later
1st April
8:23am

"Oi Takeo, stop doing that will ya? The teacher will get angry, you know." One of the students warned, albeit they were laughing a bit as said boy was doodling random sketches on the board, paying no mind to the consequences that would certainly follow eventually. These were the thoughts of the kid at the back of the class that went by the name Akira, a bored expression on his face as he stared at his classmates.

It was the first day of the new school year, and yet no one seemed any different. Miki was still chatting with her two close friends from last year, and she still remained his crush despite all the months that had passed. Had the boy ever spoken to her? Well that was irrelevant. His gaze lingered on the children around him for a while, before he faced the window (he liked to make sure he always had a seat by one) and he watched the cherry blossoms dance with the breeze, as blue skies greeted anyone who bothered to look up.

For him, it was another boring day. Everything was such a routine at this point, that things were simply dull. And this class wasn't the brightest of its year either in Raira Academy, so he sort of felt bad for any teacher that had to deal with them. And then, after some time the school bell finally rang. That stupid, obnoxiously loud bell announced the start of a new year.

But all his classmates couldn't care less, they kept on making noise as if nothing happened. That is until, the door abruptly opened, and everyone made eye contact with who seemed to be their new teacher. With his dark and unruly raven hair, and piercing red eyes, he effortlessly stood out of the crowd. The poor guy looked around with an eyebrow raised, before shaking his head and smiling a bit, as if this was all a bit of a joke.

"Well, I guess I should introduce myself, huh?" He said aloud as if he was speaking to a casual friend, and he walked over to his desk in the middle of the room. "I'm Izaya Orihara," he said with a bright smile as some of the students gasped at the familiar name. Akira bothered to prop his chin on his hand, looking curiously at the man. For the past few months, word was going around that Izaya Orihara had changed since he had last been here about four years ago.

"And I'm going to be your student teacher for the following year," he spoke enthusiastically. How cute. His positive spirits would soon be crushed knowing how incompetent his class was. "So, everyone find your places... except you." He gestered to the boy next to the whiteboard who had frozen mid-drawing when Izaya walked in. The ravenette walked over to him with a relatively neutral expression, and with a grey camera (why did he bring a camera to school?) he took a picture of the doodles on the board. "You're absolutely brilliant at drawing, you know that?" Takeo, who was one of the toughest guys around, had his eyes practically sparkling at the compliment. "But we can't have that on the board for now, so do please erase it and head to your seat." He instructed, and admired his own photographic skills while the young 'artist' erased his work quickly.

"Okay, now that that's settled, I'll be doing the attendance. Feel free to tell me anything interesting about yourself, ok? So... Akiyama Miki."

The girl immediately got up, her dark brown eyes warm as usual, "Present!" She announced, before scratching her chin a little and speaking rather boldly, "uh, Izaya-sensei? Not to be rude, but normally for our class teachers don't really do much teaching." All the students were holding their breath for her, because what she was saying was true, but he probably wouldn't appreciate that much.

And yet, the ravenette only smiled, "And why is that?" He asked innocently. "Well we are the last class... everyone here thinks of us as a lost cause. It would be a shame to waste your time..." the usually outgoing Miki was practically whispering by the end of her sentence, as Izaya-sensei was giving her the most incredulous look. Akira was a little concerned for her. It was barely their fault, they weren't exactly kids with bad behaviour, but their academic performance was horrible.