Chapter 27: Reunion

-Izaya Orihara-

6th January
1:23pm

The rickety RV came to an abrupt stop in the peaceful clearing, causing mounds of dust to spiral through the air, obscuring any clear vision from the slightly cracked windows of the van. Inside of the old vehicle were three people, and the oldest of the bunch had his hands clutching so hard to the seat belt that his palms were indented with marks of the rough material. His wide carmine eyes slowly shifted from the view infront of him, which consisted of green fields and a bundle of tents, to a very cheerful and seemingly proud teenager, who went by the nickname of 'Nova'.

"You are a menace to society." Izaya mumbled incoherently, vividly remembering all the street signs that were ignored and all the people they almost hit. He could have sworn that at one point some police cars were chasing them, but as he repeatedly told her to stop the van because he was sure he could deal with the police with a few charming words, she just laughed as she pressed the gas paddle harder, until they got them off their tail.

Nova just puffed her cheeks in annoyance, and gave Izaya a sideways glance as if she was about to defend herself, but then she seemed to realize that they were just metres away from the circus and she giddily got out the van, by slamming the door open. After that she proceeded to walk around by doing handstands, and cartwheels while screaming, "We're here!" Like a ten year old. Izaya was both amused and irritated by the short attention span- what did she have ADHD or something?

Asuka who was still residing in the back of the van had a similar reaction to Izaya, but she hastily got out of it as if she was scared that it would continue moving in its own. The ravenette had the same sentiments, but was less enthusiastic as he got out of his seat agonizingly slow, before leaning against the doors of the vehicle and observing his surroundings. It was a neat little clearing, with a large tent at the centre, with the traditional red and white vertical stripes. A flag stood proudly ontop, with its maroon drapery flowing in the wind.

Around the main tent where they most probably hosted their shows, were a bunch of smaller tents with colourful draperies and designs of their own, probably belonging to the members of the circus. There were quaint pathways leading to all the living spaces aswell. Izaya determined that it was quite the lovely view, but was still reluctant as to what was in store for him once he entered the circus. But as to seeing Nova's cheerful behaviour, the ravenette doubted that these guys were exactly bad people having revenge on their victims every other day... they just seemed like regular teenagers having some fun.

Izaya's lips quirked downwards into a frown in confusion, as he tried to find the most sensible answer to what was happening, but he was cut off from his thoughts as Asuka and Nova went on either side of him to help him walk over to the tent. The ex informant silently accepted their help, and took small steps, putting one foot infront of the other while regulating his breathing. He started to regret being able to doze off for only half and hour, before Nova's driving woke him up in a frenzy of panic.

Izaya decided to live in the moment instead of remembering his near to death experience, so he looked up to see Asuka scowling at Nova, before hitting the back of her head with the palm of her head. "What was that for!?" The silver-haired teenager exclaimed, while rubbing her injured head. "For almost killing us you dimwit," Asuka retaliated, while the other just clicked her tongue in annoyance. "You could have given me a contution." Nova mumbled after a while, causing Izaya to finally crack a grin. As fun as it was to see two teenagers go at it and argue, Izaya didn't want that to happen while he stood in the middle of them.