6

Walking into a bank all bruised up to hell, accompanied by a biker guy wasn't my finest moment. The security guys kept us in view as we approached the front desk and the sting of their eyes tingled my back as I approached the old man behind the counter. Alex stood a foot behind. Giving me a little privacy as I explained to the man who I was and what I wanted. Which got me a quick intake of breath as a reply and a worried glance to the security man to my right.
"I'm afraid that's a lot of money young lady, I can't authorise that."
I gave him my sweetest of smiles. As sickly and vulnerable as I could. "It's an emergency and I would be so greatful, Sir."
"It's out of my hands, my apologise." He raised his hands. Looking from me to Alex who I sensed was giving him death stares aplenty behind me. If the old man wasn't going to play nice I'd have to change tactics. After all, I did have a little secret myself. My grandmother owned the bank.

"Look." I checked his name tag. "Arnold. I don't think your boss would be too happy if you stopped her little munchkin from getting out some money to pay for a busted up car which is meant to get that munchkin to work." I almost smirk as his face pales. "So, you give me the three grand that is mine and I won't call up Melissa Wilks and tell her you're refusing her granddaughter her money."
I felt awful. But it had to be done. Arnold was quick to do the paperwork and hand over the money. I think he wanted me gone as soon as possible. Picking up the bag we exit the office and head back out to the car. Alex smirking over at me with his eyes. I blush. Thankful he was gentlemanly enough to hold the heavy, black money bag because I had a odd feeling my arm would drop off.

"Poor bastard." He chuckles. Opening the car door for me and grinning as I take a seat inside. "Thought the old fart was going to croak it at one point." He places the bag between my feet. Running his fingers over my bare knee. Making me shiver as he pulls my skirt down over my thighs before closing the door and getting in behind the wheel.
"Had to be done." I muttered. Fiddling my thumbs in my lap as we drive off down the road. He nods. Turning down a one way street as he speaks. "Real care about Eddie don't you?"
I tense and blush wildly. Was he jealous?
"He's been in my life a long time now. I came to the city spoiled, immature and useless. Then I met Ed and he gave me a job, helped me find an apartment and even walks me to my car after every shift. I guess this is my way of helping him. He's done so much for me."
His jaw clenches. His nostrils flaring a little. Biting my lip I decide to change the subject. Sensing his sudden gloomy mood change. "How did you get in with Billy?"
He clears his throat, pulling up outside Ed's bar and turning off the engine before sitting back in his seat and staring straight ahead. His body tensing. His hands fisting in his lap.
"I was fifteen. Young, stupid, thought I knew it all. Started hanging with the wrong people and soon enough I was on my back, black and blue and bloody." He paused. Taking a deep breath. "I'd stolen money from my folks and decided to use it to buy weed and sell it. Thought I'd make back a profit and I'd return the money with no one noticing it was gone." He turns his face to look at me. "As you can guess it didn't end that way, Princess."
"How did it end?"
He reaches out and puts a stray hair behind my ear. His fingers lingering in my hair. "I got mugged. Any thoughts of profit went down the can and I needed money to replace in my folk's hands. Then I met Billy. He dusted me off and taught me everything I know. Now, I have a job that pays well and gives me a rep that people are scared of. Keeps them away."
"Why do you want to keep them away?" I ask innocently. My voice turning a little squeaky as little space begins to take hold. His hand moving to my chin as he leans in and kisses my lips gently. "Enough story time for one day, Princess."

Alex dropped the bag at Eddie's feet. The thump echoing around the empty bar as he stares down at it in confusion. Alex crosses his arms as I watch Eddie try to come to terms with the fact that I wasn't as poor as he thought. "But, how?"
"Long story short: my grandparents own a chain of banks, and so did their parents before them." I wiggle my jaw. Trying to soothe the ache as Ed crouches and unzips the bag. Picking up a small portion of notes and holding them to his nose. "Why didn't you tell me?"
I raise my brows and Alex quickly snatched the money and bag from him. Zipping it up and hauling it over his shoulder. "For obvious reasons." I mutter. "Let's go." Alex takes my hand. Leading me towards the door.
"Where we going?" Ed shouts grabbing his keys off the bar. The scrape making me cringe a little as I call back to him. "Billy's. We're going to clear your debts."