15

Wrapping a towel around myself I limp towards the living room. The apartment door was wide open. Letting in a cold, threatening chill that made a shiver run down my spine. Quickly, I close the door only to scream my lungs out as a foot planted itself between the door and the doorframe.
"Violet!" Alex pushed his way in and I wiped away the tears as he entered. His face pale and concerned as he saw my shaken state. "My god, what happened?" He took me into his arms and I closed my eyes. Smelling his minty scent and relaxing into his warm, safe body. I wept into his jacket. I couldn't help it. Everything suddenly became too much and I broke down. Heavy sobs wracking my body as I hold him tight. Like a comfort blanket on a dark night.
"Violet?" He runs his fingers through my damp hair. "What's wrong, Angel?"
"Someone's trying to kill me..."

I told Alex everything. The phone call, the threats, the debt that Billy knows about and my sudden murder attempt in the bath. Alex had been knelt at my feet. He'd wrapped a blanket around me and sat me down and waited til I'd spilled out the entire horror story before saying or doing anything. That's one of the things I loved about him. He listened.

"I need to go." He stands. Pulling on his jacket then taking his phone out of his pocket, he dialled a number and put it to his ear.
"What?" I stand too. Peeking up at him, pulling the blanket further around myself. Feeling the heat rush from his torso as I lean against him a little to absorb it.
"Ed." He pauses, pinching his nose as Ed shouted down the phone at him. "I know." Another yell from the other end of the phone. "Listen. Shut up. I need you to get your fucking arse over to Violets and look after her for an hour or so."
Another pause and more shouting.
"Someone's trying to scare her to get to me and I need you to forget about your own stupid pride and do her a favour."
Rolling his eyes he hands me the phone.
"Hello?" I squeak.
"Vi?" He sounds surprised. "Everything okay?"
"No" I sigh. "He's right."
"Give me ten. I'll be there soon." He hangs up and I give Alex his phone back.

"I guess I better put something on." I wander to the bedroom, leaving the door ajar and find some shorts and a t-shirt. As I dress I can hear Alex pacing about, huffing and puffing as if waiting for me to get dressed was the end of his existence. Once done, I walk back inside and he stops. Staring at me in silence as I approach him.
Wrapping my arms around myself I try to smile but he doesn't respond. His eyes so dark I can't make out their colour. Before I could say anything his lips are crushed to mine and his arms wrap around me and haul me upwards. Sliding my legs around his waist I hold him close. Sighing in ecstasy as his hands slide into my wet hair.
"Why did you leave me, Daddy?" I whisper against his lips. His hands running down to my thighs to hold me up against him. His eyes meet mine and he breathes out a long, heavy breath. "Daddy was scared, Angel."
"Why?" I breathe. Linking my fingers behind his neck to press my lips against his. Wanting desperately to coax answers from those luscious lips that I loved so much.
"Daddy's not used to feeling anything." He pauses to kiss my lips. "And you make Daddy feel things he never imagined he could. I'm sorry, Angel."
I cover his lips with my fingers lightly. Exploring the soft shapes with the tips. "Don't be sorry, Daddy. Just be with me."
He smiles, rubbing his nose against mine. "You're something else, Princess."
"What's that, Daddy?" I blink innocently.
"My guardian angel." He rests his head against mine. Closing his eyes as we enjoy the moment. The moment of silence. In each others arms.
"I'm no angel, Daddy." I smile.
"You're mine." He grins. "You make me want to be better. To do better. When before I didn't care or want my life." He teases my lips with his. Walking slowly, with me, to the wall. Leaning me against it as he buries his face into my neck. Smelling my freshly clean skin. "I was in a black void until you blushed at me." I felt his grin widen against the skin of my neck.  "You mean more to me than you think...I~"

A bang at the door cut him off. We both paused. Looking at each other before he dropped me to my feet. Taking out a switch blade from his pocket and flipping it open before slowly opening the door a little. "Fuck my life." Mumbling he stepped aside to let Eddie in. Putting the knife back into his jean pocket. "Took your time."
Eddie pushed him out the way as he stepped inside and taking a seat on the couch. His eyes flicking from Alex to me and back nervously. "So, what's going on?"
His hair was pulled up into a pony tail and he'd thrown on a well loved leather jacket. Thinking back, I don't think I'd ever seen him in that jacket before.
"New coat?" I raised a brow. Assuming I knew the answer already.
"Won it last night."
He hadn't stopped gambling like I'd asked. But was it really any of my business anymore? As far as I was concerned I was currently unemployed. "Nice."
Shrugging he turned his attention to Alex. "What's happening?"
"Violet was nearly murdered tonight." He crossed his arms. Analysing Ed's reaction as he sat forward in his seat and stared at me.
"Seriously?"
"Yes." Alex said for me. Eddie snapped his head back to him and frowned. "Wasn't asking you, fucking prick." Then looked back at me. "Are you okay?"
Giving him a small smile I take a seat on a stool by the table opposite and nod. "Billy has been calling me." I pause. "Making threats."
"I'll kill him!" Eddie stood up. Face flushing red with rage.
"Sit down before you hurt yourself, Rambo." Alex stepped close to him and nodded towards the couch. "If you go barging in there all you'll do is get yourself killed." Exhaling he runs a hand through his hair. "Besides, it's not you they want."
"No it's you!" He pushes his fists against Alex's chest. "If you'd left her the fuck alone this wouldn't be happening!"

They argued back and forth but it all sounded deep under water to me. My eyes darted between them. Witnessing but not truly seeing. I hated conflict. It always reminded me of home. My mum and dad fighting over his drinking again, or mums spending habits. They always thought I was in bed but I wasn't. I was always there. Listening. Now, as I sat there, their voices rang in my head. My mind drifting off to a place I'd tried so hard to forget about.

"Rob, alcohol?" Mum paused. "Again?"
"Fuck off woman!" Dad would push her up against the wall by her throat. "Don't tell me what to do with my money!" He'd slur.
"Our money!"
"You keep believing that you old hag!" He'd yell. Squeezing just that little bit tighter.
"Rob, no, please!" Mum would scream....

"Violet." Ed's voice snapped me back to the present. My stomach coiling as the voices faded back to where they came.
"Sorry?"
"Where were you?" Ed snapped his fingers in front of my face. Frowning I slap them away.
"Nowhere."
"You sure?" He raised a brow. Handing me a cup of tea. "You've gone a bit pale."
Suddenly, I notice there's a man missing. "Where's Da~" I stop myself. Blushing wildly as I clear my throat. "Where's Alex?" I sip my tea and pray to high heaven he hadn't noticed.
"Gone to see a man about a dog. Nothing for you to worry about." He sips his tea. His fingers playing nervously with the handle as he stares at his feet. "I wanted to apologise." He started. Meeting my eyes. "For last night. I'd had a good amount of 'Jack' and wasn't myself."
"It's done." I stated. Sliding off the stool. Feeling my eyes fight to close. "Can we talk about this later?"
At first it looked like he was going to refuse. But, then, he nodded and watched as I went to my bedroom. Closing the door behind me.

In bed I tossed and turned. Why did he just leave? I knew I was daydreaming but still...he could've kissed me goodbye. What if it had been our last?
No. Stop it, Vi. Alex will be fine. You'll be fine. It's all in your head.

But as I turned on my side and stared blankly at the bathroom door. Imagining the lonely darkness deep inside and the woman, with the red hair, torn of her skin all I could think was maybe it was a sign. At first I thought it had been my mother. Now, I thought maybe it was me.