14

Coughing mud from my mouth I look up just in time to see Eddie thrust his fist forward into Alex's jaw.
"No!" I scream. "Stop it!" Stumbling, I slide to my feet as Alex grabs Ed's arm, as he pulls it back, and forces it behind his back. Ed cries out, teeth grinding together as he tries to break free. His other hand clawing back over his shoulder, trying to knock Alex off balance.

"Keep your fucking hands off of her." Alex spat in his ear. He pushes Eddie forward. His chest heaving as he keeps his eyes on the man before him. Ed spins round and clutches his arm to his chest. Massaging his wrist with his free hand as he glares back.

I stand to the side between the two. Eyes darting from one to the other. Terrified that one would hurt, or worse, the other. My clothing and face covered in mud from the fall. Wiping my face I sob. "Stop."
My plea unheard, punches and grunting echoed around the car park. Cries of pain and spits of blood ensnare my senses as I watch the two predators go at it like a pair of randy apes.
"Stop." I try again. My voice a little louder but still unheard. My body trembling with adrenaline and anger.
I wasn't an angry person. So, when I was angry all I could do was cry. Crying was my release. Confrontation had always been a thing of nightmares for me. Tonight, I'd seen my nightmare first hand. Right before my eyes.
"Please stop."
I try a new tactic. I reach for Eddie and pull on his waist as hard as I can as he grabs Alex around the neck with his arm before landing another fist in his face. "Stop it!"

Maybe without an audience they would stop this macho bullshit.

Finally, I'd had it. Furious, I spin on my heels and head for my car. Seeing safety in the headlights of my lonely beetle. I climb inside and reach for the door. Both men stood watching me. Unmoving. Stood side by side like a panel of judges on X Factor. Weighing up my sudden insanity. "Does everything have to involve fighting for fuck sake!" I scream. Slamming the door closed I jam the keys in the ignition and speed off. Turning in the car park.
I'd just managed to get the gear into first when a knock on my window gave me pause. I looked up and glared at the pair of hazel eyes from the other side of the glass.
"Violet!"
I knew he wanted me to stop. To stay and talk. But if I had to listen to another fist hit a face I'd scream.

His palms slapped flat against the window as he pleaded with me to wait. To let him explain.
"We need to talk." His voice was sad, almost. There was a hint of 'do as I say' beneath it that pulled at my loins until they were sore and throbbing with a need to please. But he knew as well as I that right then all I wanted to do was get the hell out of there and his face confirmed it. His eyes were wide and tired, his jaw clenched as a tick worked up at the side of his cheek and a mist fogging up my window from his heavy, panicked breathing. He was worried.

So he should be. You opened your heart and then he left you. Let him worry.

Eddie came up beside him. Pushing his face up to the window. "Sweetheart, be reasonable." We both stared in disbelief at him. Blood trickled down from a cut above his left eye. Pooling into the stubble above his top lip. I cringed as he licked at it and shook my head. Ripping my attention away from them to the road and forcing the beetle forward. Out of the car park and down the road out of sight.

I'd just removed my jacket when I heard it.

Creak.

Footsteps coming from my bedroom. Throwing my jacket aside I rush to the kitchen. Looking for any kind of weapon. Deciding on a very sharp looking fork I slowly begin the walk to the bedroom door.
Fuck. You have someone in your house and you get a fork? What the fuck!
"Shut up." I whisper to my brain. Pushing the door ajar with my toe. Watching the door swing open slowly then examining the room. Satisfied it was empty I step inside.
Call Alex. Call Alex. Call Alex.
"Shush. I don't need him for everything!" I spat quietly. But, maybe for this I did. I'd had no combat training of any kind and my only weapon was a fucking fork. It was looking very likely I'd get hurt.

Standing outside my ensuit bathroom I try to steadying my breathing. The fork handle in my hand digging painfully into my soft palm. Stepping back I take my phone out of my back pocket. Skimming through the contacts before realising I didn't have his number. Fucking hell!
I started to panic. I'm going to die!

Billy's horrible, sly voice cackled in my head. Reminding me he was out to claim a debt. One which would get me killed if I wasn't careful. Or even if I was careful. Who knows.
The cackle became louder. Making the blood run from my face and my palms begin to sweat.
You can do this, Vi. Just open the door. It's all in your head.
Booting the door open I pull the fork by my face. Ready to dig it deep into someones soft clavicle if needed. But no attack came. No one jumped out at me. No one tried to assault me. Had there been anyone even in here at all?
"I'm losing my mind." I wipe the muddy hair from my face and place the fork gently on top of my vanity table.

Washing off the dirt made me feel a little better. A subtle throb behind my eyes warned me a storm of a migraine was on it's way. Prickling around my eye sockets like static. Closing my eyes I lean back in the bath tub. Letting the soft drips of water from the tap to the water at my feet soothe me. The hot water soothing my healing bruises.

A voice called to me. A woman's voice. A familiar voice that made me smile the moment I'd heard it. Opening my eyes I see the owner and grin across the wooden table at a woman in her thirties. With hair so red she could melt the sun and eyes so icy blue they could be mistaken for crystals.

Holding a cup of tea towards me she nodded. Reassuring me all was well as I took it. Adjusting her white dress she smiled back. Simply watching me as I take a sip of my tea. "How is it?" She asked.
I open my mouth to reply but no sound came out. I try again but to no avail. Dropping my cup I hold my throat. Feeling a burn that shot down into my lungs. I look back up at her and try to shout for help. But she sits there watching me. Her face beginning to melt away from the bone and muscle. Clutching my burning chest I try to scream. The woman before me, now, nothing more than bone and muscle in a pretty dress. Her hair thin and wispy, her eyes hollow and dark. "Wake up, Violet. Wake up." She say's.

My eyes open and I'm under water. The aching, icy burn making me choke down a gulp of water. I claw at the hands that hold me down on my chest. Digging my nails as deep as I could into the skin. A muffled wail above me, the hands loosen and I force my way up. Coughing and gasping for air. Climbing out of the tub and weakly flopping out onto the tiled floor. My bloodshot eyes searching for any trace of my attacker.
I was right. Someone had been here. Watching me.