17

Things were quiet for a day or two. Alex worked at Eddie's bar each night in my place. Serving drinks and collecting glasses, whilst I sat in his apartment clutching my phone to my chest. Sitting in my pyjamas watching stupid Kardashians til my brains were ready to be blown out.

Huffing I begin to pace. Back and forth across the wooden floor. Running my hands through my hair so many times I was worried I'd go bald. My hands shook as I checked for any missed calls. The '0' flashing at me with mocking satisfaction. I had to get out of the same four walls. It was driving me insane. It was during the day, no one would kill me in broad day light would they?

After a quick change into a pair of jeans, boots and one of Alex's white shirts buttoned and tied at the waist I grab my leather jacket and head for the door. Picking up my bag, that sat by the door waiting, as I head out.

Crossing my arms, I shiver as the bitter cold blasts through my hair. Tendrils of fiery red whipping my cheeks as I slowly walk down the street. Deep in thought as my eyes stare at my feet. Not caring where I was going. I just knew I needed to get away. For a while at least.
I hadn't had any alone time since I moved in with Alex. He was so protective and attentive, frustratingly so. Every movement I made he mimicked. I knew it was because he didn't want me to get hurt but a part of me wanted to kick him in the balls while the other wanted to crush my lips to his and never let him go.

Turning down a side street I look up and for the first time in two days, I smile. Quickly crossing the street I enter the coffee shop. The aroma of freshly ground coffee filling my nose as the sweet smell of muffins made my stomach grumble. The server was a young man, around my age, with shaggy blonde hair and a smile that so wide I thought his face might crack. I couldn't help but match his smile as I rummaged in my bag for my purse.
"What's your hearts desire, Miss?" He grins.
"A caramel macchiato with a shot of vanilla, please and a blueberry muffin." I said, handing him enough for my purchase and a tip. Nodding he gives me a cheesy salute that makes me giggle and he gets to work.

A tingle on the back of my neck makes me peek over my shoulder. Using my peripheral vision I casually scan the cafe and the windows. Hoping, maybe, to identify the source of my uneasiness. Nothing. Exhaling, I turn and choose a seat by a window. Sitting in the corner of the booth closest to the wall as to shield myself from view. This way I could see outside, keep my eye on the other customers that were scattered around the cafe and see who came and went through the main door.
The shaggy haired youth dropped off my coffee and muffin and gave me a quick wink before he dashed off back to his till. Casually unwrapping the muffin I tear a bit off and begin to eat. Letting my eyes flick up now and then to keep an eye out for anyone who may cause trouble.

Buzz. Buzz.

My bag rattled, making me jump a little as I rummage through the damn thing like Mary Poppins for my phone. Checking my messages I sigh. Then groan.

Where are U?

Alex. He must've nipped home to check on me on his break. Breathing out a long breath I text him back. Letting him know where I am.

At Caf round corner. Needed fresh air.

Putting my phone down on the table in front of me I take a long swig of my coffee. Trying to steady my sudden anxiety. It buzzed again and I peeked over. Chewing the piece of muffin I'd just broken off.

I'm coming over. Stay there!

I was about to protest, reaching for my phone when a large hand covered mine. Stopping me. Gasping I look up as the grip of the hand tightened painfully. Their nails digging into my soft, pale skin.
"Who~" I snapped, then stopped dead. Billy's taunting, horrifying grin gazed hungrily over at me from the seat opposite in the booth. His long dark hair sat messily around his shoulders. His tattoos covered up by layers of shirts and a leather jacket. His boots knocking into mine beneath the table. A silver, military chain dangling at the centre of his chest.

"Hello there, my little strawberry." He purrs. Taking my hand roughly into his and away from the safety of my phone. I looked around the cafe to see if anyone had noticed. Apart from two biker guys stood at the door who were obviously some of Billy's guys, nothing seemed out of the norm. No one cared.
"Don't call me that." I raised a brow, trying to wiggle my hand free but his grip tightened and I whimper. His nails sticking into my skin, making small droplets of blood run down and disappear between my knuckles.
"What's wrong sweetness?" He smirks. Raising my bleeding hand to his lips and running his tongue across a trail of blood on the back of my hand. "You don't just look sweet, you taste it too." He yanks me forward. Forcing me to lean over the table. My muffin squashed beneath my stomach. My coffee now a puddle on the floor. "Where is it!"
"What?" I cry. Shaking as he pulled me closer. His face inches from mine. "Where is my fucking money, darlin'?"
"I don't know."
"Wrong answer." He gives me another yank. This time pulling me by the hair further towards him. My hands instinctively shooting to his wrist. "Your prick of a boyfriend must've told you!"
"He's told me nothing!" I squeal as he gives me another yank. My red hair snapping a little in his hand. "I swear!"
Growling he gets to his feet, dragging me out of the cafe by my hair. My feet slipping and sliding on tiled floor as I struggle to break free. My eyes imploring as many people as I could to help me. But nobody did. They sat in their seats, too scared to move. I didn't blame them. In this neighbourhood, helping others got you killed. It was a horrible truth I was getting familiar with.

In the street he threw me to my knees. Stumbling I tripped and headed face first into the road. Trembling I try to get myself up onto my feet. Then turn to face him and his brutes. "I don't know anything, Billy." I pleaded. Suddenly, I felt so dumb and pathetic for getting myself into this situation. Had a date, not that he'd ever taken me on one, been worth all this? Beatings, bloodshed and living in endless fear to be with a man I barely knew? 
Holding my aching, bleeding hand to my chest I shake my head as Billy demands information I don't have. Furious, he steps forward, takes out a gun from the back of his jeans and hits me across the face with it. Screaming I fall back to my knees. Spitting blood that had suddenly burst from my inner cheek. "Fuck." I pant. Feeling a sudden nausea rush up from deep in my stomach.

Standing over me he points the gun to the back of my head. "Last chance, Strawberry." I close my eyes. Fear threatening to force me to vomit all over his shoes. I pant. My vision blurring as the assault of a panic attack brews.
I'm going to die. I'm going to die.
I hear the gun rattle in his hand and I scream. Knowing soon the trigger would be pulled and I'd be gone into nothingness.
I can't die now! Not yet!
Slowly I move my hand to my jacket pocket. Some kind of rational thought returning as I remember I had something nice and sharp in my pocket, just in case. A metal nail file. Whipping it out and slamming it as hard as I could through his boot and into his foot beneath. He screams and falls back in pain. Giving me time to scramble to my feet and run.

"Get the bitch!" I hear Billy scream behind me as I turn a corner. Trying to think of an easy way to get rid of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb following me. Their sprinting footsteps getting louder behind me.