21

Gripping the back of my shirt I'm dragged out into the empty bar. All around me stand men of all shapes and sizes, gathered around the bar drinking well before noon. Double checking the time on the bar clock I cringe. Yes, it was well before noon. Ten, to be exact.

Billy hopped up to sit on the bar and stretched his long, skeletal legs. Making a big, dramatic scene to capture the attention of his men. Shack's grip on my shirt moved to hold both my arms. Holding me so tight they felt like they were going to fall off.
"Now then, little lady." Billy smirked over at me. His eyes roaming my small frame. "You're looking a little more alive this fine morning." He winked at me and I scowled back, causing him to laugh in reply. Elbowing the man next to him, he laughed as he said, "Did you see that?" He grins at me as the other guy looked over his shoulder. "Strawberry is still defying me."
"Why, boss?"
"Well, I dunno." He shrugs. Lacing his arm around the others shoulders. "Why don't you go over there and find out." Nodding, the man got to his feet and walked over. Confidently at first then he slowed, pulling a knife from his back pocket as he sees me struggling to break free.
"What's all the agro about, pretty thing?"
Thrashing my legs out I aim for his head, I growl. Feeling more fierce than I actually was. A small animal, prey not predator.
"Quite the bob cat aren't you." He reaches out, wrapping his fat fist in my shirt. "Relax, make this easy for me and I swear this will be painless."
Snapping my jaws at his exposed wrist, he cries out and breaks his hold. Stepping back to stare at me in fury. "Don't touch me." I scream. Watching him slowly back away.

That's right arsehole. Keep your sweaty hands to yourself.

Squinting, I keep my blue eyes on them. Watching them watching me as they discuss something which was way too low for me to catch. Realising that struggling was probably, without a doubt, a waste of energy and my time, I give up. Slumping a little against Shack's hold. He gives me a little shake, assuming I'd passed out, the force of it banging my head forward I hiss in pain, "Hey!"
He gives me another shake to shut me up, and I feel the vomit swishing in my gut. Growing a little pale, my vision darkens as my body heats up.
What are we going to do?
"We?" I hiss. "Think you mean, me."
Less talkin' and more escapin'.
"I can't leave. What about Alex?" I mumble. A sudden panic tightening my chest.
Then what do we do?
"Stay put." I internally pray to Jesus that I was doing the right thing. "Alex will give them the money then we can leave."
You're not so sure about that are you?
"Any better ideas?" I snap, re-thinking my life choices and really considering therapy once this was all bloody over.
There was no comment, no witty comeback. My brain was as useless as the rest of me was right now. What was I to do til he showed up? So far, I'd broken a chair, being manhandled by numerous criminals and been threatened with being kept as a pet by Billy. Speaking of, the violent viper had slinked off the bar and was cruising over to me like a Tom cat. All poise and charm, his gruesome smile widening like a psychopath from a horror movie as he tugged on my white shirt and studied it. "Now that you're mine, you'll dress appropriately."

My eyes widen. Scared that he wanted me to strip down right there before all the hungry, male eyes. "Shacks, take her to the back and get her some of Molly's old get up, yeah?"
Grunting, Shacks dragged me off to a corner of the bar I'd never seen before. A corner with a table and chair set, a group of burly men playing cards sat with their heads down deep in concentration as they contemplate their next moves. A light hung a little low, above the centre of the table. Lighting up the cards as they played. None of them paying me any attention as I struggle in my captors arms. His boot thumping hard on the bottom of a oak door, which swung into the wall behind it as we entered. Echoing down the hallway. Breaking loose I try to run for the window but Shacks grabs my hair and slides me down to a room on the right. Tossing me inside and locking the door behind him. Scuffling to my feet I curl up in the corner, making myself as small as humanly possible as I watch him open a wardrobe and pull out an outfit. Hanging it up neatly on the outside of the wardrobe then turning to me. "Put on." Then he stomped out of the room. Leaving me to my internal chaos as the clank of the key locking the door broke me and a loud sob finally released itself.

My tear filled eyes flicked across the room. It was more near and feminine than anything else I'd seen at the bar. The walls were painted a bright white, the bed was a double with lovely pink sheets. The room was filled with vintage furniture: a vanity table with an inbuilt mirror, a wardrobe and a bedside table with a lamp that looked like something out of a cowboy movie.
On my feet, I run my fingers over the smooth, polished surface of the vanity table and sit down on the little stool. Wiping the thin layer of dust from the mirror I stare at someone I didn't recognise. Apart from the red hair and blue eyes, you couldn't tell it was me. My face was black and blue, my eye swollen and a little puffy, scratches and cuts covered my pale skin and as I sat there, thinking, I wondered if I'd ever be that shy, innocent girl again. Instead of the monstrosity that stared back at me. Would I be able to keep my sanity through all this...

I doubt it.

"Shut up." I scream, thrusting my small fist into the horrific form that reflected back at me. "Just shut up."
I will. But, first, you need to change.
"I have and not for the better." My voice cracks as tears stream down my cheeks.
You're clothes genius.
"Oh."