7

Ed had complained all the way over to Billy's. It had grown dark since leaving the bank and soon the stars twinkled down. Glowing, oblivious of the chaos beneath them.
As we reached the door the two blonde bouncers stood to attention. Eyeing us one by one til they saw Alex. One smiled. "Yo, Al, how you doing?" He said slapping him on the back as the other glared down at me with a growl. Narrowing my eyes I scowled back. Determined not to let the ape intimidate me. Alex was here. With Alex no one would touch me.

"Isn't this the chick from last night, Al?" I turned my head to see Alex's friend looking back and forth between us. Eddie moving a little closer in case they made a grab for me.
"Violet. She's with me so keep your fucking paws off." Alex mumbled, leading us through the pair of identical hoodlums and into the bar. The bag of money clutched tightly under his large arm. Wish that was me. I pout. Blushing deeply at the weird thought. Christ, Vi. Head in the game!

Alex lead us through to the back to a door with Billy's name painted in red. I hoped it was red paint. He knocked twice then grabbed Eddie's arm and thrust the bag of money against his chest. "You go in there and give him the money."
"Yes?" Billy bellowed from the other side of the door. He sounded pissed already and we hadn't even entered yet. Eddie went first. Licking his lips nervously as he stepped inside. Before I could move Alex shook his head and pushed me gently from the doorway. "Wait here, little one."

Baffled, I huffed. Wrapping my arms around myself and leaning back against the filthy, white wall. Pressing my fingers to my swollen black eye. Fuck. I hiss in pain. Closing my eyes as I listen to the raised voices coming from the office. Imagining I was actually on a nice beach somewhere and not stood in a bar where I was almost murdered over money, paying off debts which weren't mine.

"Pleasure doing business with you, Ed. I'll look forward to seeing you next week." Billy's serpent tongue sneered. A moment later and the door was open and Ed stormed out. Heading for the exit without a look back. A heavy sigh catches my attention and I look back. Seeing Alex approaching me and leaning back against the wall beside me.
"How'd it go?"
"Done. Billy's wiped his debt." He slides his hands in his pockets. Letting his head fall back gently against the wall. He looked so tired. His hazel eyes looking lighter in contrast to the dark circles forming beneath his eyes. His clothes were rumpled, his hair unkept and stubble had grown.
"What now?" His voice was so quiet I thought I'd misheard at first. I slid my hand into his pocket, linking my fingers with his. Surprised by my boldness I blush. Biting my lip, hoping I wasn't out of line. My heart soared as he squeezed my hand lightly and began leading me outside to find Ed.
"Do you..." he started. "Do you like Ice cream?"

Blinking up at him I blush. My hormones and little space raging as he smiled down at me. A smile half confident and half anxious. It was adorable. His nose reddening a little as I smile back and nod. "I do."
We start walking again. Relieved at the fresh air running through our hair as we chatted away. Enjoying each others company.
"I think the best flavour is raspberry."
"Na ah!" I squeak. Giggling as he raises his brows at my annoyed tone. "Strawberry!"
"No!" He chuckles, grimacing at my mundane ice cream choices. "You need to try some greek yoghurt Ben and Jerry's. That shit rocks."
I tilt my head. "Really?"
He pauses as we near Eddie's bar. Staring down at me in mock horror. "Baby girl, we need to get you some decent fucking ice cream."
I giggle.
"In fact." He takes his phone from his jacket pocket and studies it. "I think we should go get some and go back to mine for a movie..."
"And pizza!" I grin. If I could've skipped, I would've.
Laughing, he stuffs his phone away and bends down. Loading me over his shoulder and tapping my arse as he walks towards the door of the bar.
"What're you doing?" Laughing as I try to hold on. Ignoring the sharp pains in my bruised stomach from his shoulder. Which, shockingly, was pretty bony considering the amount of muscle that covered it.
"Sooner we're done here, the sooner my baby and I are eating pizza!"
If he wanted to eat me too I wouldn't object.

Eddie was in his office when we arrived. Knocking back his third shot of whiskey as he stared blankly at nothing in particular. His shoes and jacket had been thrown onto the floor in a heap and the bottle of whiskey sat in his lap between his thighs.

Stepping inside I scan the room. Noticing the unloved clock was no longer on the shelf but now smashed on the floor. Poor thing.
"What's wrong?" I ask. Sitting against his desk as Alex lingered by the shelf. Looking through old records.
"Nothin." He took another shot. Keeping his face focused on the wall.
"Well something's wrong. You got out of there like your arse had just caught fire."
"You ever thought that maybe, just maybe, I don't want to talk about it?" He raised his brows. I'd never heard or seen him this way before. This was new territory and I wasn't sure how to handle it. I opened my mouth to say something then stopped.
"A woman has just bailed me out." He points at me with his glass. "A woman who was almost killed because of me." He pauses and I sense theres more so I keep my mouth shut. "A woman who I should've protected instead of..." he huffs, pouring himself another shot. "Being a selfish fucking prick."

"It's not your job to protect me, Ed." I mumble.
"Oh, but it is. I should've known you would've done something fucking stupid and stopped you." He leans back in his chair and knocks back the shot. Getting to my feet I use all the energy I could muster in my throbbing arms to push his chest. The wheels on his chair squeaking in protest as he slides backwards hard against the wall.
"What was stupid was you gambling money you don't have." I stumble out the door. Wanting to make a dramatic exit but failing miserably as my muscles scream in pain. Taking long, deep breaths I quickly make my way to the car. Raised voices echoing behind me.