19

I hopped to the edge of the path. The blood on the side of my face now dry and itchy on my skin.
"What do you want?" I mumble. Terrified he'd execute Alex right then and there. Right before my eyes. Visions of him lifeless and bloody in the road haunted me. Swirling like a vortex, devouring any other thoughts. Whatever they wanted they could have it. As long as they didn't hurt him.

Billy smiles and scratches the side of his head with his gun. Shrugging nonchalantly as he says, "Just what is mine. I want my money that this sack of shit took from me."
"I don't know where it is." I wipe the blood from my lips with the back of my arm.
"But he does." Billy ran the tip of the gun over Alex's head. Stopping at his temple. "We take you, he goes and gets my money then you're both free to go as soon as he brings it to me."
It sounded too easy. Too simple. "What's the catch?"
"Now, come on dear, you've watched too many movies." He laughs, handing the gun to another as he slowly approaches me with his hands linked behind his back casually. A couple of feet away he stops and tilts his head. "So how about it, little strawberry." His grin widens. "Some me and you time while your man takes care of business?"
"Then we're free?"
"Like 'Free Willy', all done." He holds out his hand. Offering it to me to shake it. Glancing over his shoulder I see Alex shake his head. Getting to his feet only to be knocked over the head with the gun. Flinching, I almost snatch Billy's hand. Gripping it firmly and shaking it once. "Good girl." He smirks and I shiver. Immediately, everything seems to go by in a blur, he dips down and hauls me over his shoulder. Screaming I thrash to break free but his grip only tightens are he walks back to the group and  nods to the gun man. "Leave him." Then to Alex. "You've two days. Bring me my money." I hear a chuckle. "I don't think I need to tell you what'll happen to your little girlfriend if not." Then he carried me away to a truck. Forcing me inside as I clamber over the group of thugs to the back window. Slapping and hitting it with my palms. Watching as Alex, slumped and defeated, runs his hands through his hair and kicks the nearest car.

Back at Billy's bar I'm carted off to his office. Dropped into a chair that had seen better days and tied to it with odd plastic grip things around my wrists. I didn't struggle. I didn't see the point. I was hurt enough. With all the big, beefy guys around there was no way I'd be able to get two steps not to mention twenty feet.
You need to learn to keep your mouth shut.
"I know." I mumble. Watching as Billy took the seat at his desk and plopped his legs up and leaned back. Making an exaggerated sigh of relaxed happiness as he smiled over at me like we were the best of friends.
"This is more pleasant, I think." He smacks his lips at me. "None of this threatening, killing and sneaking around business. Just you, me and Stacks, over here." He nodded towards the large, portly brunette by the closed door of his office. Stacks looked around six-four, bald and had a sullen expression which could terrorise any poor old lady waiting in line at the checkout. He'd be terrible in retail.

"Say 'hello', Stacks." Billy ordered. Stacks made a long, growl deep in his chest. His eyes not wavering from mine. I stared back. Narrowing my eyes in a failed attempt of defiance. Billy cleared his throat. Putting his legs down and sitting forward in his seat. Then, noticing my bleeding calf, scurried over and crouched before me. Moving the sliced fabric out of the way to inspect it. Tutting he shakes his head. "I work with animals." He looks up and examines my face. Much to my distaste as his fingers probed my throbbing face. Shaking him off I scowl down at him. Tendrils of red hair falling into my eyes. Moving them behind my ear he smiles. My anger amusing him. "Fiery little thing aren't you. I can see why the boy has taken such a shine to you."
"Don't."
"What?" He chuckles.
"Act like we're best buds, when in fact you'd happily have me killed right now."
Taking my face in his hands, I try to squirm free. He tries to shush me. Causing me to lash out with my feet as his face comes closer to mine. "Why would I want to kill something so...Sweet." He kisses my nose and I freeze.
No. No. No.

Pushing his face deeply into my hair he takes a deep breath. His hands running down over my bruised arms. "Something so sweet should be cherished."
"Not by you!" I blurt out. Kicking him away. Knocking him off balance and watching in horror as he falls back onto his arse. Stacks doesn't move. Simply leers at me from his corner like some mindless beast as his master gets to his feet and laughs. "We shall see." He turns to leave. "In the meantime, I'll have your wounds tended to. Can't have my new toy all damaged, can we?"

Then he leaves. Leaves me with the mindless zombie and my own mind which internally throttles me for being so stupid. In the end though, all I could do, for now, was wait and hope Alex got me out of this hell hole before I was made 'Queen of the Thugs'.