16

Gaping in astonishment I shake my head as my eyes scan the sign of the brick building we stood in front of. 'Shelly's Shooting Place.'
"No." Running a hand through my red locks, I turn and head back to Alex's bike that sat across the street. Grabbing my arm he pulled me back onto the path, holding me still so I had to look at him.
"Angel, you have no choice." He rested his lips against my forehead. "You need to be able to protect yourself."
"I can!"
I feel him smirk against my skin. "Yeah. You seem to have a good handle on things. Proved that last night in the tub."
Yanking my arm from his grip I prod him in the chest. "You know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, Daddy!"
Raising a brow he steps closer. "You yelling at me, Princess?"
I suddenly feel very small and stupid. Crossing my arms I take a shy step back. "No."
"Sure?" He steps closer. "Sounds like you were."
"No." I step back again. My back scuffing the wall behind me as I connect with it. He puts his palms either side of my head and leans in a little to smell my hair. Releasing a steady stream of breath. "Be careful, little one. Daddy will put you over his knee for being a very rude girl."

I shiver. Closing my eyes. Enjoying the tickle of his lips in my hair as he brushes his face of the soft, red tendrils down to my rosy cheek. "Sorry, Daddy." A whisper was all I could manage.
"Good girl." He stands back, pulls me from the walls and swats my behind. Making me stumble forward a little towards the door. "Now get your arse in there and do as Daddy says."

The shooting range was small but busy. It didn't surprise me. The entire area was gun crazy. I'd seen many customers come into Eddie's hauling a pistol or revolver under their jackets like it was some old western. They always kept them to hand but never took them out. That was a small mercy I prayed thanks for.
As Alex busied himself arranging some range time with a woman, I'm assuming was Shelly, I took a look at the various guns on the walls. AK-47s, revolvers, rifles, the whole shebang. I was fingering the trigger of a rifle when Alex came up behind me. "Ready?"
Turning around I scrunched my nose up and nodded. Chuckling he took my hand and led me out back to the shooting area. Walking down the line of shooters to the farthest, free section and preparing a gun. Which I was only now noticing. My eyes widen as I watch him reload it with such prowess that it dawned on me just how dangerous of a man he actually was. In fact he was definitely one of those men you couldn't bring home to mama, or in my case grandmother. I slid on the earmuff things and watched. Trying to remember his every move. My life, as it seemed, depended on it.

Raising the gun, he aimed then shot two rounds. Both shots rang out loudly, vibrating the muffs covering my ears as they flew through the air to hit the target in the head. Biting my lip nervously I watch as he shoots the rest into the targets chest. Right at the heart.
There's no way you're going to be able to be that good.
Stupid brain was right. Compared to him I was a complete, and utter, novice.

After a quick reload he handed the gun over. "It's easy." He said. Standing aside to let me take position. I copy his stance and raise the gun. Pointing the nozzle and trying to aim at the head of the fresh target that quickly swished into position some yards away. His hands rested on my hips. Adjusting me. "Now. Just a little to the left, Angel. You're trying to kill not injure."
"What!" I almost dropped the gun but he steadied me. Keeping me in his arms as they wrapped around me. His lips mere inches from my ear. "It's kill or be killed, Princess." He pauses. "I'm keeping you breathing. Now raise your gun, aim and squeeze the trigger."
Raising the gun I kept both eyes open as I aimed at the targets head. His grip tightened a little on my hips. Making my breathing quicken. "No. Keep breathing. Only hold your breath at the last moment when you shoot."
I aimed once more, inhaled, held it and squeezed the trigger. The gun thrust in my hands but I kept it steady. Amazed as the bullet flew through the paper target and imbedded into the wall behind it. Pulling off the muffs I laugh. "I did it!"
Alex stepped aside grinning at my enthusiasm. Nodding proudly. "Not bad, not bad at all." Then he popped the muffs back onto my head and shouted. "Do it again."

Turns out I wasn't a natural shooter. I'd missed more targets than I'd hit. However, we left the place and Alex seemed a lot calmer as we made our way back to his place on his bike. My arms wrapped around his waist, my thighs squeezing along his. Hoping to god I didn't fall off.

After a lot of pestering I'd agreed to stay with him for a while. He hadn't told me where he'd been last night and I hadn't asked. I just hoped it wasn't anything that could cause more trouble than we're already in.