8

Of all the arrogant, ignorant and sexist excuses I'd ever heard that took the doughnut! Flinging my car door open, flinching then clutching my bad arm I groan in pain. Resting my forehead against the cool, tin roof of my beetle and closing my eyes. Letting the freezing bite of the rain beat down on my aching back.

I shouldn't of got involved. He's right. I sigh. I was stupid.
I knew Eddie was mad, his pride shattered and his masculinity questioned beyond belief, but there was no way he was going to get away with talking to me like a child. I made my own decisions. Always had done. However, there was part of me thinking that he had a point. I'd been reckless. If I hadn't, would Alex be with me now? Probably not. He'd be with a leggy blonde with a fake rack and an overflowing bank account. He seemed the type. He didn't seem the type to sniff around a young woman like me. Deep red hair, curves in all the wrong places, an average apartment and a bank account that technically wasn't really mine. The three grand had been an inheritance. Nothing more. I hadn't earned it.
At Eddie's the pay was good and the shifts easy but there's no way I'd be able to save up that kind of money with all the bills and my rent. I was able to feed and clothe myself. That was enough for me.

A hand on my shoulder made me shriek and spin around. Catching my attacker on the chin with my fist. "Fuck!" A groan. "Fucking hell!" An angry note in his tone but no retaliation. Blinking through the rain drops I take mental notes of the description of my assailant. Dark hair, jeans, boots, leather jacket....shit. Alex.
I watched him nurse his throbbing chin as he came closer. Into view. His hair slick to his head with the rain. Droplets dripping from eyelashes that would make Kylie Jenner jealous. "I am so sorry."
My fist began to ache with the force of my attack. Holding it against my chest I move closer. Running my fingertips gently over the rough, red skin of his chin. Luckily I hadn't broken the flesh. So far it was just swollen and red.
His chest heaving he stayed still. Letting me examine the result of my outburst as he studied my face. His hands resting on my hips. Frowning I give him a nod of satisfaction then release his chin. My sapphire eyes meeting his. The streetlights reflected in his hazel eyes. Glowing almost down at me through the sheet of rain.
"Are you alright?" He mutters. A hand moving to cup my rosy cheek.
"Apart from aching all over, I'm fine."
"You didn't look fine when I got here." He frowned. "You looked...lost."
"My friend is hurting..." I state defensively. Alex shakes his head. Wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his warm, but soaked, body.
"So are you, and sorry if I'm out of line but you're fucking beaten up." He kisses my forehead and I shiver. My hands exploring his chest as he holds me tighter.
"I know..." I feel myself melting. Giving in to the voice of reason. His voice. The voice that seems to shatter my soul then rebuild it all at once. Deliciously teasing me.

"Then, I suggest, we get the hell out of the rain, we dry off and eat ice cream." I sense a smile in his voice and I can't help but smile back. Alex had a way of relaxing me with his words, his touch. Everything fell away when he was around. Nothing else seemed that important. I loved Ed like a brother. But, my brother had let me down. Big time. Making what Alex said the truth. It was me that was bruised and ill. There wasn't a scratch on him. He was fine, physically. Mentally? That was tomorrows issue.

I'd never seen anything like it. I was so shocked I almost couldn't comprehend what I was seeing. My mouth fell open and a loud, ecstatic giggle burst from me as I stared inside the cupboard of my dreams. Chocolate bars, snacks, fruits, juices were all labelled and assigned their special shelf. It turned out Alex was a bit of a neat freak. Then I look over at the mass of laundry by the washing machine and scowled. Well. Not completely a neat freak.
Alex had told me he was going to run me a bubble bath and I couldn't argue. In his absense, I'd taken it upon myself to root around his kitchen in search of ice cream. Maybe some secrets too. But, mostly ice cream.
Moving towards the freezer, I take out the strawberry ice cream, scoop some into two bowls and take a seat at the dining table. I was enjoying the first little taste of the strawberry flavour melting slowly on my tongue when I heard it. Alex cleared his throat and was stood behind me. Arms crossed and head tilted. He wasn't happy. "Oh, hi." I smiled as innocently as I could. His brows raised and I blushed. Swivelling in my seat to face him. "Is something wrong?"
He looked over my shoulder at the bowls of ice cream then back at me. "It's not nice going through Daddy's things when his back is turned, baby girl. It's very rude."
I slide off the stool carefully. Trying to ignore the aching in my bones. "But...you said we were going to have ice cream?" I squeaked.
"Did I give you permission to help yourself?"
"No."
"No, what?" His voice got slightly louder and more demanding. Making me shiver. I was almost wanting to smile, but knew if I did the punishment would be more severe.
The next words slid out in a whisper. My cheeks blushing crimson and my mouth so dry you could journey through it on a camel. "No, Daddy."
"Better." He relaxed. Running his thumb over my bottom lip and popping it into his mouth to clean off the melted strawberry ice cream. "What do you say, Angel?"
"I'm sorry, Daddy." I fidget with my shirt. In a quick swoop I was lifted into his arms. Held close against his chest as he slowly makes his way to the bathroom. My arms and legs quickly wrapping around him so I don't fall. His palm running soothingly over my back. "That's my good girl."