Chapter 1

✩✩✩

✩✩✩

Ahana's Pov

As I got out of the taxi and gave the driver my money, the chilly air felt good on my skin. I looked around, noting how much had changed yet how my old house remained the same.

Granny and Grandpa were my only guardians after that horrible occurrence six years ago, so I grinned as I walked towards the porch and removed the house key. I had spent the last six years living in London.

Now that I am back in Jaipur, my hometown, I grinned as I took in the crisp morning air and opened the door, but my joy vanished in an instant.

The house was decaying, with spider webs welcoming me inside and me praying that there were no cockroaches. The furnishings were all just as I had left them, but despite the need for extensive cleaning, I am glad to be back.

When my cell phone rang, I was busy taking in my surroundings, but I knew immediately who it was—my best friend Kaira. As I pulled out my phone, I saw the caller ID and grinned. "Baby!!!" came from the other end, making me tightly close my eyes. This is how having a best friend for ten years treats you.

Before I left Jaipur, Kaira Diwan was my closest friend. We stayed in touch over the six years I spent living in London, talking on the phone for hours at a time. When I told her I was coming back to Jaipur to complete my college degree, she got so excited that she decided to throw a party.

"Hello, Babe," I said, keeping my bags on the porch while the taxi driver helped me get them.

"Did you reach? Did you reach?" she asked, sounding so excited that I had to laugh at her enthusiasm. 

"Yeah, I just reached," I answered, and I could hear her yelling from the other side, which made me laugh. 

"Okay, I will be there in ten minutes," she said as she ended the call, and I laughed.

I picked up the phone and called my other childhood friend, Ayaan. 

"Hello my best friend," he said with excitement. 

"I am assuming that you have reached Jaipur," I smiled. 

"Yeah, I have," I answered. I could hear him say loudly that he had arrived, and I could picture him pumping his fist in the air and I laughed.

He answered, "Good, I can not wait to meet you," to which I laughed. 

"Me too, can you come over now?" I inquired.

"Yes, of course I can," he answered. 

"Well, then bring a broom and several tablecloths—you know, the ones that are no longer in use—as well as some dust cleaner," I said, interrupting him.

"You are calling me to do your cleaning?" he asks in a startled voice, to which I chuckle. 

"Well yeah, you are my childhood best friend, right?" I demand him, and it always works.