XVII; Refresh

Honestly, the things that Akane had done to make Yuu more comfortable are things that Mikaela could have done himself. As a vampire, he was perfectly capable of all of the tasks that she could perform, but he was completely wracked with nervousness. He had never seen a human so sick before, the way that Yuu trembled with chills, and his hair stuck to his brow with sweat. It scared him, and he had done it- he had caused the human so much pain, and he was still suffering after days.

The vampire shook his head lightly, like he was trying to empty the thoughts from his head- pour them out- so that he could rearrange them. Yuu's sickness had made him far more flustered than he truly liked. He hadn't had many encounters with the humans within the stronghold, and if he did they bowed and ran in fear. To make matters worse, Krul had kept him locked up in his chambers as a child- he was plagued with fevers as his body was adapting to the complete lack of human blood. It was burning pain, day in day out, never ending, for years. When he thought about it, he was washed with shame. Krul must have been embarrassed, locking him up away from the world for so long, keeping his weak self safe. When his fevers finally simmered down, he was glad. However his thirst for human blood had grown and grown and grown, until it has led to nearly killing the only human he might ever have the chance to acquaint himself with. If he were lucky, he hoped that they would even turn out as friends. Truth be told, he never had many of those either, save for Lacus and René- although the beginning f their friendship was based on their pity for Mikaela- and the attention he got from Krul was that of a mother. It was a sad thought, really. He hadn't a close friend in the world, none that he could truly confide in.

"Mikaela?" Akane strolled into the room, wiping her hands on a small white hand towel. Her sleeves were rolled up and her forehead was damp, indicating that she had just finished bathing Yuu and putting him back to bed. She tucked a loose strand of hair, which had been thrown into a messy ponytail, behind her ear, before straightening her tunic. The vampire smiled gratefully, standing straight. He suddenly remembered the mug he held in his hand, the contents still steaming. He handed it to her, hopeful that she would accept it.

"Thankyou, Akane, for taking care of him for me." God, he hoped his smile didn't seem like the creepiest thing that the girl had ever seen, especially with his fresh red irises that he was suddenly hyper aware of, which were glowing from the ceiling lights above the dining table. Imagine it- a self conscious vampire. To be honest, he scared himself when he looked in the mirror, and it was harrowing, not seeing his blue eyes anymore. The only symbols of his humanity were gone. He had held onto those eyes for so long.

The girl simply cocked her head, brow knotting quizzically;
"This is... for me?" She tapped her chest with her fingertips, only a delicate touch. The vampire noticed that her nails were chipped, whereas his own had been manicured well- independently, of course. Mikaela nodded, laughing softly as she took the bone white mug from his hands. Their fingertips brushed at the exchange. He shivered suddenly at how warm she was against him, and at how her tanned, beige skin was flushed with the flow of thick blood and— he caught himself before he could dive further into his thoughts. Although, she didn't seem to catch on to his staring at her wrist, and if she did she brushed it off. Instead, she smelled whatever the brown substance was in her mug, and her eyes opened wide,

"Is this real coffee?" She smelled it again, a deeper breath this time. Mikaela remembered that coffee was not a common commodity, and it was often only found in the hands of humans.... interested in dabbling in illegal things within the stronghold.

"Ah, yes. I found some in the storeroom. Just think of it as a small thank you, although a cup of coffee doesn't nearly make up for-" he was cut off with Akane's excited voice,

"Yes, yes it does!"'she took a deep sip. She winced a little bit at the heat of it, but she moaned over the taste nonetheless- God, she missed drinking a good cup of coffee. It wasn't badly made, either- especially for somebody who couldn't even eat human food any more. She gulped down some more before she flushed and straightened herslef, realising how she had acted in the presence of a noble. But the vampire was only smiling at her. He actually began to laugh- it was more of a giggle, but it was sincere. His shoulders shook and he covered his mouth. Akane stared, open mouthed,
"Wha...?" She hadn't ever seen this expression on a vampire before.

"Sorry, sorry," Mikaela shook his head, blond locks of hair waving back and forth, "I just haven't seen a human so excited over coffee, ever, really."

"Well.." Akane was carefully to watch her words. Whilst Mikaela had been kind to her this far, she was still wary of the needle like fangs that protruded slightly from Mikaela's lips, catching the immersing sunlight through the heavy drapes, "It's hard to come by things like this, now. Especially when our family is so large. Food can be sparse even at good times."

The blonde was confused, to say the least. Every child in the stronghold have blood in return for rations. There should be an ouch to go around. For a long time, he personally saw to it- but Ferid steered him away from the task, it wasn't something a noble should partake it. Of course, when Mikaela refused, life's where threatened.

"Are you not getting enough rations? The distribution is equal for everyone-" He stopped mid sentence when he noticed Akane's wry, sad smile. The look on her face was so complex, like she was remembering something bittersweet.

"Our little sister, Chihiro. She's... sick."

"Ah, you mentioned her, before. When you, ah..." Mikaela gestured to his chest, and Akane flushes a bright red.

"I am so, so sorry about, well. Stabbing you. I thought that you were hurting her." Mikaela flinched at the statement, but Akane continued nonetheless. 

"She's been sick for years now, constantly feverish. She can barely keep anything down, and the medicines we can get by selling extra blood aren't doing anything for her. That's why our supplies are stretched thin. She can't donate blood, so she can't receive her own rations, Lord Mikaela."

The vampires frown was deep, "Are you saying that Yuu has been..." he swallowed thickly, "Giving twice the amount of blood to make up for Chihiro's?"

Akane nodded, "Amd since his blood is such a high quality, they had no problems taking it. It was doable for him before, even though it worries us. But, My Lord... he cant do both."

"Both?"

Akane sighed uncomfortably, "He can't donate blood for rations and... feed you at the same time. One day, it's going to kill him. And judging my that," she pointed towards Yuuichiro's bedroom, "I don't think that he will last long if he keeps going."

^*Is that? A? A chapter?!
I know? Crazy right. I redownloaded Wattpad today after months of being away, and I was overwhelmed with the amount of positivity that this work had received. Just so many amazing comments, and 8th place in the whole damn Mikayuu category?? What?? Bitch where??
But seriously, thanks to everyone.
I want to clarify that this is still a semi hiatus, because this year I will be going into my final year of high school, which means I will be working hard. I will be doing 11 units, including an extra English subject (meaning that I do advanced English, plus an extension class. For all y'all non native English speakers, the class is literally just literature and craft of writing. I don't know if that helps but :) I tried). Anyways, I really hope that you enjoy the chapter, now that Yuu's motive has been revealed, and Chihiros dilemma told. Let me know what you want to see in future updates....

Here! (All y'all who say smut are gonna die because I just suck at writing it)

As a special comeback, I'll be adding a Q&A! Here we go! Questions for:

Yuuichiro💚

Mikaela✨

Krul 🎀

Akane ☕️

Ferid 🔪

Lacus 👾

René 💀

Thanks for reading XVII; Refresh!

PS; it's 1:03 am and this is not proofread :) enjoy my typos, love y'all, and Happy New Year! Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this chapter!