Chapter 28

A/n wow... I did not expect to get the amazing feedback I got. I took a long break but now I know where I want to take this story. If there's one thing the Sherlock story is good at it's waiting...so thank you for believing me the same way that John believes in Sherlock. Ily.

IMPORTANT: the story line isn't exactly perfect lol I'm just kind of rolling how I want for the sake of the story so don't be like 'at first it seemed like episode 3 but  then it becomes episode 2 of another season' thx.

Also I'm thinking of starting a Sherlock x OC soon. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in reading :)

Y/n's POV

I stare at my scuffed boats. I don't think I've ever been this nervous while standing in front of 221B. I'm so used to this being a good place, a place that makes me happy.

"You must be, y/n." A blonde woman answers the door.

She's pretty. Her hair is short, she's (taller/shorter) than me. She seems nice, or at the very least excited.

"Yeah, I'm y/n."

"I understand why Sherlock was so upset when he thought he couldn't get you back." The woman jokes in a way that makes me a little more comfortable. "I'm Mary. John's fiancé."

I get so excited after she tells me that. John's getting married! Without thinking, I jump up and hug her tightly. "A wedding! With John! That's wonderful!" She seems taken aback, but then awkwardly hugs me back. 

"You're John and Sherlock's best friend, he told me he'd tell you, I really wish he'd get over himself and realize that you couldn't be here."

I smile thankfully, but sadly. I remember that John sort of hates my guts right now. And probably will till the end of time.

"Correction, Mary," John! "Was, she was our closest friend."

I frown deeply. "John, I-"

"Don't." John closes his eyes as if this is hard for him. "You don't get to come back when it's convienant, you don't get to come back after Sherlock begs you. You can't come back and give me that sad look with your e/c eyes and giving me that perfect, heartwarming apology that you've been rehearsing on the plane ride in that y/n way that gets everyone to forgive you. You can't just make yourself the victim, crawling back here, because you leave people."

I'm surprised I'm not crying. "John Watson! Don't do this to me, it's not like I just left because I was tired of you, or because I didn't care, I left because I couldn't do it. You were stuck, I was stuck, all of our friends were stuck. I had to-to get away from it. Leaving this flat, you, it was like someone dying all over again. It was the worst time of my life."

"For me, too, because I had to burry one of my closest friends and then watch the other walk out of this flat with no intention to come back."

I'm sick. It's not just his words, it's the coldness in them. What did I do to him? I hurt him. I'm so mad at Sherlock, and so hurt, and I miss him. I miss John more than I realized, and now he's engaged.

"I shouldn't have come back, I blew up your life, I'm sorry, John, I really am, about everything." I run out of the flat, Mrs. Hudson tries to stop me.

I run down the street, before sitting down on a bench. I wipe some of my dumb tears with the sleeves of my sweater, a sweater that John and Sherlock had given me on my birthday. They're everywhere. 

"I'm not going to pretend to understand." Sherlock sits next to me. "What i put you through or how you're feeling."

"At least you came back to John for a reason that wasn't convience." I sigh, staring ahead. 

"It's not like that. I tried coming back for you, but you had moved on."

"That is some BS." I finally look at him. "If you had ever known me you would have known I would have been so happy to have you back, no matter where I was in life."

"Y/n," Sherlock starts a sentence he doesn't know how to finish. "I'm not blaming you, but I never saw you leaving John."

"I had to." I squeeze my hands together. "I was on the fence about staying and then this job came up. I kept turning the agency down and they told me they knew why I was turning them down. They said I take the job or they give me a reason to leave London...by killing John."

"John doesn't know that." Sherlock sounds a little more positive. "Maybe we should tell him."

"I don't know..."