Chapter 35

The next morning, Kagami was walking towards the grassy area to feed her horse, Kaze, before continuing the rest of her daily routine. "Kagami!" She turned around to see her mother running up to her, looking like she wanted to tell her something urgent. "Are you going to eat breakfast?"

"I feed my horse before breakfast, and then I eat."

"You're so responsible, Kagami! I think I saw Hayate come this way earlier so he might be feeding his horse as well."

"He is, mother. Was there something you need to tell me? The way your face looks seems like something urgent happened."

Vivian lightly tapped her head with her fist playfully. "I can't believe I almost forgot again when it's been on my mind since last night!" She cleared her throat before taking a ring off her finger that was black with a gold imprint on it. "It slipped my mind last night during our conversation, but I just remembered towards the end. I apologize."

Kagami just stared at the ring, a bit confused. "What's important about this ring? It doesn't seem like a wedding ring..."

Vivian giggled at Kagami's comment, showing her an actually wedding ring on her left ring man. "This is the wedding ring." Vivian then showed her the other ring on the palm on her hand. "This ring, however, was your father's most prized possession that he gave to me. This ring belonged to the empress, and is the only thing your father has kept from his erased past. This ring is called mamoru no yubiwa which means ring of protection. It is as it sounds, this ring protects the user who wears it." Vivian put the ring on Kagami's palm, figuratively passing the torch onto her.

Kagami stared at the ring for a moment before picking it up and putting it on her finger. She stared at it more in awe, unknowing how to think or feel about it at the moment. "Mother... I don't understand how father would keep the ring, but not the sword."

"Oh... You mean Lady Luck's katana? Well... That sword is the most prized possession of the empress, so your father's father got really upset that Takashi has claimed the ring as well as trying to keep the sword. In the end, your father just left it as it was."

"Does Lady Luck's katana have its own title like the ring?"

"Ironically, no. But many have called it the lotus of luck. If you ever saw it, it has a golden lotus on it, and a ladybug symbol that has the design of the yin and yang."

"I have saw it. Twice. The first time I saw it was on my first day of being in the royal guard when Emperor Asuma was passing by, and then I saw that Ryuma has the possession of it."

"So you have saw it before. It grants the user the power of their true aura. That sword only releases its power if the user has the blood of Empress Shizuka, same with the ring. But that power is only unleashed if the user has both the ring and sword. As of now... They both rightfully belongs to you."

Kagami just blinked and looked at the ring once more, seeing that it has the same colors as the sword. "I have to somehow claim that sword. That sword is in the wrong hands... Who knows what Ryuma plans to do with it..."

Vivian put a hand on Kagami's shoulder, giving her a gentle look. "I understand how you feel, Kagami. I'm sorry I got you riled up so early in the morning. The important thing right now is to feed your horse, and then feed yourself."

Kagami had almost forgotten that she hasn't done that yet as her stomach began to growl. "Kaze must be wondering where I am! You may come along, mother." With her mother following her, Kagami rushed towards the grassy area.

At the grassy area, Hayate was gently petting his horse, a gentle expression on his face. "You feel full, Kuro? You're such a good boy." He petted his own horse for a little while more before feeding Kaze an apple. "You're a good boy, too, Kaze." Kaze let out a sound of worry, Hayate seeming to understand. "I'm sure Kagami is on her way." Hayate looked from behind Kaze, letting out a snort. "Speak of the devil." Kagami and Vivian arrived, both trying to catch their breath. "Good morning, Kagami, Vivian. I already fed Kaze his breakfast. He ate a lot, and I just fed him another apple."