(Deceit X Reader) Could I Buy Anything?

"Come on, kiddo! I wanna see the puppies!" Patton whined to me for which seemed like the hundredth time.

You may know me as 'Jack the fibber' or simply 'slimy boy.' Ridiculous nicknames, really. But I'd like it best if you'd refer to me as Deceit or something along the lines of Deception Sanders. Right, I am Deceit... But I'd be more honest if anyone other than Patton would give me a chance to prove that I'm not a bad guy. Virgil kind of knows how I feel, at least.

"What's in it for me?" I asked wryly.

"Snakes."

Lovely, he knows I like snakes. It's totally not obvious.

I huffed and dropped everything I was doing just so I could take this heavy weight off my shoulders and walk with Patton to the pet store to peek around. Patton is head-over-heels for the cute animals like dogs and cats, obviously. He squealed with pure joy.

"Remember, Patton, be careful when you're around cats. You have allergies." Logan pointed out calmly. Again. While he shoved another book in his face like usual.

As a response, Patton just kind of pointed finger guns at Logan, winking, and walked straight out the door. I trailed behind him, snatching my phone before I closed the door behind me when we left.

The crunch of dead leaves on the sidewalks crinkled from beneath us while we walked.

Now I'm not sure if it was just me but it felt like somebody's stare was burning into me, through me. I checked over my shoulder, but nothing but the blur of cars that flashed by were clear to me. Hm, odd.

Just to spare time, I awkwardly flipped through my phone. Nothing around me was noticeable.

Patton nudged my arm with his elbow. "Look around, kiddo! It's a beautiful day!" he explained with glee. "See the pretty colours on the leaves! I love Fall.." Patton smirked.

"Fall," I hummed. "It's wonderful."

He pouted. "Is that a fake compliment towards our environment, Dee?"

Dee? What does that even mean? "Not at all." it does look nice, honestly. Other than the trees dying.

Besides this chatter that is kind of pulling me out of focus from my thoughts, the pet store is just up ahead. Right on cue, Patton starts bouncing up and down like he'd have no exhilaration or vibration tomorrow.

"I wanna see a little poodle! With its coot, wittle, wagging tail!" Patton screeched, sounding like a baby.

Mentally, I sighed. "We're almost there." I thought for a moment. "Why did you bring me along instead of... Roman or someone else?" I asked politely. Count how many times you find that the embodiment of Deception is polite.

"Kiddo, don't doubt yourself. It's because I love ya! And nobody else hangs out with you, so I will!" Patton seemed determined. Like this was a goal and achievement he was grasping. "You're not half bad. Once we'd get to know you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He flashed me an apologetic smile. "It doesn't mean anything, Deceit!"

I nodded, unsatisfied with Patton's reply.

"But heck, I feel like today is going to be special! Dontcha think, buddy?" Patton asked with a smirk.

I clicked my tongue. "Yeah. Great." facetious much.

Finally after that torture of walking with talking, were at the pet store. Phew. Surprisingly eager, I peeked through the window to eye one of the snakes in there. Fun.

The entry doors were made of glass and the walls had a stripe coming straight from the top painted a sort of blue colour with paw prints making a trail along the walls. Other than that, the rest of the walls were just painted lazily. Light grey.

But now we step inside, and I swear to god, I felt Patton's breath on my neck. The inside of the pet store was visibly similar to the outside, the same paw prints coming from the wall, a blue stripe starting from the ceiling. I liked how the floor was shiny and clean, with black paw prints trailing to different sections.

A female with a velvety voice sung from behind Patton and myself. "Oh! Good morning!" I whipped my head around and glanced at her, analyzing her (e/c) eyes, her (h/l), (h/c) hair. She wore a light blue short sleeved shirt and ordinary black jeans. "Can I help you?" she asked politely.

Patton held his face up against a fish tank. "No thanks!" he replied, kind of muffled up from the glass.. Weirdo.

Although there isn't anything really interesting about it, I kept my eyes locked onto the floor. I was kind of puzzled.

"Are you alright, sir?" she asks me.

"I'm fine." I reply.

Normally I'd shrug this off and follow Patton like he does with me—Like a lost puppy. But no, I just had to walk over to her. "Um," I started, not knowing how to fully converse. I snatched some sort of, uh, dog muzzle, I guess. "Could I buy this.." I choked. "And have your number just in case I need some help with it."

I'm trying my best to lie to her so that I can get her phone number without being suspicious... But I don't want to be a creep. I find it hard to lie to her, though. Even if I am Deceit. Strange.

She cocked her head to the side, and I cracked a small smile. "Sure!" she gushed happiness. "Lemme write it down.. I don't have the best handwriting, though." she warned me.

Her number was scribbled onto a small piece of paper and she slid the little note into my hands.

"Great." I swallowed.

"Deceit, look!!!" Patton screeched, making me jump. "There's a snaaake!" he stretched the e.

I mentally facepalmed. "That's cool, Pat."

"I has a little blue line, interesting..."

"It's poisonous, don't touch it."

The girl giggled. "Oh, sorry, I never told you my name. It's (Y/N)!" (Y/N) chirped.

"Deceit." I replied, my heart flipping once. "That's a lovely name, (Y/N)."

"I'm Patton, don't forget me!"

Her voice was so loving. "Greetings, Patton."

"Well, I hate to ruin your fun, Pat, but I think we should go.." I trailed off, hoping he wouldn't cry.

"But we just got here!" he pouted.

"I'll bring you back tomorrow."

"Deal!"

(Y/N) and I locked eyes. "See you then." we stated in unison.

Patton shook me back and forth by my shoulders. "YOU LIKE HER!!"

"No I don't-" I blushed.

"YES YOU DO." he retorted. "I saw you blushing the whole time in the store and you're still blushing now!"

I lied. "I have rosy cheeks."

"Don't lie to me..." Patton's eyes were watery.

"Fine, Fine, I like her."

"iM tElLiNg (Y/N)!!" Pat squealed.

"Goodnight, Patton. Have sweet nightmares." I growled. And with that, I sunk into the floor, a glint of regret and/or confusion in my eye.

I wonder if there's more to this.