(Virgil X Child!Reader) New Home.

I could feel every step on the ground, a pebble or rock sinking into my soft skin and the gritty soil dirtying the small cuts and marks left. Truly unhealthy. I am (F/N) (L/N) and I am five years old. My father left almost as soon as I was born, taking everything with him. Including my mother's caring nature of holding me, patting my back with her soft hand, that familiar thumping sound soothing me.

I never got that.

I never got to have a meal everyday whenever I wanted. I was neglected and forgotten basically my whole life. Every passing day, being homeschooled and learning so little because Mom would never bother to help me up in the morning anyways. I wasn't taught how to do things, I had to learn on my own and fend for myself. Every single day. If I could just click with someone, anyone at all... I would do anything for them, be anything for them. Like, all of a sudden it's not gravity holding you down to the Earth—its them. (If you get that reference, I love you.) I'll explain this present moment starting at when I woke up.

I opened my eyes sleepily, rubbing them gently with my small balled fists. I let out a little yawn. My eyes were moist around the edges. I got up, tearing my royal blue bed sheets off of myself and striding towards the kitchen to drink some water and eat an apple or something. The cold water slipped down my dry throat and I let out a content sigh. Surprisingly, my Mother was already awake before I got to eat anything and she gestured her hand toward me. I accepted hesitantly and held hers. She pulled me a little aggressively, keeping my hand locked with hers in an undesirable way, yanking me outside the door with her. We both, obviously hand in hand, rolled out to the car and I hadn't realized the confusion that swept across my face because of how much I mentally felt in pain.

"Mommy..?" I had called out to her as low as a whisper.

"We're going." she replied, acid leaking from her voice.

She threw me into the car, slamming the door and jogging to her side to do the same with herself. The engines started purring as she turned the key, a rattle type sound coming from the keys. My smile faltered.

It took fifteen minutes, maybe ten, for us to get to our... My Mom's destination. She ghosted to my door, opening it gently this time. Kindly, she picked me up and I looked into her eyes, trying to read her current emotion but she was grabbing for something else, too. My Mother set me on the ground. Something was in her hand, but I couldn't see what until she pulled it out in front of my face.

It's a box, I said to myself, scanning over the small piece of cardboard. She set it it down lightly and put me inside of it. I titled my head, confused.

"You're going to stay here." she ordered.

"But I need—"

She interrupted me. "I'll be back."

She frowned.

And I couldn't gain enough courage to call to her to stop walking away from me. Each step she took away from me hurt more than the last and my stomach did a flip, knots tying inside of it as soon as my Mother left me here. There's no way she would come back.

"Mom!" I cried, sobbing into my wrists continuously.

My dirty nails scratched across the box, not doing anything to help the fact that they were dirty already. I started thrashing around. I'm thirsty, I thought.

"Mom!" I tried it again, wildly sobbing her name with chokes, swallowing tears.

Wind whipped my hair in front of my face and it stung. I yelped, echoing again. "Mom!" I screamed, I hollered, I bellowed.

I wiped my red puffy eyes with my wrists after trying to check around me and only seeing blurry images. This all happened too fast, I thought. That's probably the author's fault for not preparing and just being dumb. (YOU'RE MEAN, NO FOURTH WALL BREAKS- *Ducc tapes the fourth wall.*) Besides that, I need water. And by the looks of things, I won't get anything in this wide open field.