It Could Be You

Arthur was leaning against the stone wall, glancing out the window at the execution platform that was being prepared for yet another sorcerer his father had caught. He watched as guards and servants would bring wood and straw, tossing it all in a pile that was to be the resting place of a poor soul.

The thought of his idiot raven haired servant popped into the prince's head and he couldn't help but shiver with pain as he pictured those ocean blue eyes staring at him from afar, begging him not to go through with the execution and that huge, refreshing grin melting away only to be replaced by a frown and a look of both desperation and disappointment.

His heart ached as he spared another look at the courtyard below, imagining the flames engulfing the frail body of his friend as painful screams escape his mouth.

He could only hold back his tears when thinking he would not be waking everyday to that goofy grin and that cheerful expression as the boy would snatch the blankets, giving it his best to wake the lazy prince. It stung when thinking he would have to live his every day without having Merlin by his side and he could only imagine how hard it would be for him to look his father in the face, knowing that he was the one who sent his only true friend to death.

Life without Merlin in it was simply meaningless to the prince, so when he risked yet another glance towards the execution platform, his heart felt heavier as if he had to sustain the weight of the whole world on his shoulders.

Suddenly, the door to his chambers opened without any warning, and that in itself was enough for Arthur to know who it was that entered. After the sound of the closing door, he could hear footsteps grow louder as the person made their way to his side. He was, though, unable to look away from the platform down below. He felt a pair of thin hands wrap around his waist from behind and let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding before speaking on a soft, yet scared voice:

"It could be you they're preparing the execution for. It could be you down in the dungeons right now, awaiting your death."

"I know", Merlin almost whispered while planting a soft kiss on his boyfriend's neck. "But I promise you I won't let myself get caught!" the boy reassured the shaky prince in his hands, giving it his best to sound convincing and confident when, in truth, he was as terrified as the blonde man. There was no way he could watch one of his own being burned down at the stake without so much as a shiver run down his spine, wondering just how much will his kind have to suffer at that tyrant's hand.

"No! I promise you that one day, I will change this. One day, you won't have to suffer while watching your own kin die!" Arthur said while finally tearing away his eyes from the scene outside and turning around to face the boy.

He cupped Merlin's face in his hands and pressed his lips against his in a gentle kiss that seemed to stop the world from spinning and the time from passing. Then, as they pulled apart, Arthur showed a sincere smile while watching the man he so adored.

"I'll never let anything happen to you!"