That Damned Destiny

They couldn't fight destiny when it brought them together.

"Hey!"

The blonde boy turned around to face the one that spoke up and Merlin found himself admiring the way the afternoon sun hit those golden locks of hair.

"Come on, that's enough!"

The man subtly wrinkled his nose in displeasure and Merlin couldn't help but think it was cute.

"What?" His eyebrows rose in disbelief and the corner of his mouth turned upwards into an almost unnoticeable smirk. But Merlin noticed.

"You've had your fun, my friend!"

"Do I know you?" His mocking smirk was now full blown, but his eyes glimmered with enjoyment. Merlin saw that too.

"Uh, I'm Merlin!"

"So I don't know you!" His voice was strong and demanding. Merlin liked it.

"No."

"Yet you called me friend?" His ears twitched slightly as he waited for an answer with curiosity in his eyes. Another little thing Merlin would just come to love.

"That was my mistake!"

×××

He couldn't feel the tears running down his numbed face. He couldn't feel the wind mercilessly hitting his skin, nor the sun burning his left ear. He couldn't hear the leaves rustling or the birds chirping. He couldn't see the bright colours and the shiny reflection of the sun in the lake. All he could see was Arthur's hair shining in the sun. His lips parting in a wide grin. His eyes glistening with amusement and the tips of his ears turning red in delight. And Merlin could hear him laughing. Yeah, that boyish laugh that seemed to bring a bit of sun in the most rainy day. He cherished that image of his king with all his heart.

And Merlin had to lift his hand and burn it. Why would he burn it? How could he burn it?

So he didn't.

He just let the boat float into the cold water, far from him.

And as the boat drifts away, taking your body where I can't follow I wonder... which detail about you am I going to miss the most?

And they couldn't fight destiny when it tore them apart.