Scars?

Requested by kuromidnight25. I did my best into writing this chapter and even added a little bit of Merthur here and there. I rlly hope you'll enjoy this!

•••

"I never thought I'd be so god damn grateful for a bath!" Gwaine stated happily, letting the nice feeling of the cool water envelop him.

"The first time for anything is always exciting, isn't it?" Percival taunted while joining his friend in the lake, followed by Lancelot, Leon, Elyan and Arthur.

They had been on a hunt for five whole days in the burning sun of the summer days without so much as a raindrop falling from the sky and now, on their way back to Camelot, they gave in to the inviting water that sparkled almost hypnotically in the afternoon light.

"Merlin!" Gwaine called out to the boy who was left standing on the shore. "What are you doing?"

"What are you waiting for? Come in!" Elyan followed, watching his friend with a questioning look in his eyes.

"Uh, I'm pretty much alright here!"

Merlin had taken his shoes and socks off and he undid the laces to his tunic, his sleeves now tucked up above his elbows. He was most clearly not alright there and he was suffering from the burning sun on his back just as much as the others.

"Come on, Merlin!" Arthur called out as well, a playful smirk on his lips. "Never knew you had a problem undressing in front of us!" he taunted, though he knew very well that wasn't the reason his friend denied to get into the water. But he didn't know the real reason either and he didn't like it.

Even after learning of Merlin's magic, the boy still remained a riddle wrapped in an enigma with a puzzle as the cherry on top. And Arthur honestly hated that. Hated the feeling it gave him. The feeling that he was the worst friend to ever walk the earth for not being able to tell what was going on inside Merlin's mind.

But it was alright. After all, not even Merlin knew what was going on inside his head most of the time. Maybe that's why he was such an enigma, after all.

"Yeah, Merlin! Are you actually this shy?" Leon asked while dangerously coming out of the water with Percival and Elyan, playful smirks on their lips.

They didn't know what was keeping Merlin away from the cool water, but they wanted him to enjoy himself a little, as well. He deserved it more than any of them, anyway.

Merlin started backing away with slow, yet steady steps. He wouldn't get into that damned water for the life of him. Taking his shirt off meant that they would see. No way he would let them see. But the knights had no way of knowing what really was going on inside the raven's head, so they approached quickly, causing Merlin's eyes to flicker crazily with fear and anticipation.

Gwaine was left chuckling in the water, though his smile really hid his worry. He knew something was wrong. Lancelot and Arthur stayed out of it as well, sometimes exchanging intrigued looks.

"Well, come on then!" Percival spoke before quickly grabbing Merlin's arms and holding him tight in one spot while Leon and Elyan worked on getting the boy's shirt off.

"No! I'm serious, I don't wanna go in! Please stop!" Merlin pleaded, trying to free himself from his friend's grip.

Fear and terror rose within him with every passing second. He wouldn't let them see. He just couldn't!

His eyes flashed gold and he was about to magically release himself of Percival's iron grip, but he was one second too late. Elyan now stood triumphantly with Merlin's red tunic in his hand, though his grin faltered so quick that it left you wondering wether it was there in the first place.