Drunk Merlin

So, here is another tavern episode. Sorry, but there's nothing like drunk boyfriends!!

•••

Merlin listened to one of Gwaine's stories with a smile on his face as they made their way to the Rising Sun tavern together with Lancelot, Elyan, Percival, Leon and Arthur. Merlin was really the only one who actually liked listening to Gwaine's stories and who wasn't all that bothered by his neverending talking, most probably because he himself was a bit of a windbag.

Soon enough, they found themselves at the front door of the tavern, ready for their tavern Tuesday, as they liked to call it. Since Merlin was never a fan of the tavern and Arthur merely had any free time left with his responsibilities as a king and all, the knights often complained about never hanging out together without one of them missing out on all the fun. Of course, it was Gwaine who came up with the idea of the tavern Tuesday and to his surprise, everyone agreed from the very beginning. And so, for two years now, the group would spend an evening in the tavern, night that mostly consisted of all the knights, with their king as an example, getting drunk off their faces, leaving poor Merlin the responsibility of carrying their drunk asses back to the castle.

That was why the boy hated tavern Tuesdays. It wasn't that he chose not to drink, or that he didn't want to reach the point where he wouldn't even be able to tell his friends apart, it was just that he had an admirable resistance to alcohol, gained over the long years of only drinking as much as he could carry without getting drunk. And so, he would often look around at one point, just to realize that he was the last sober person. This happened Tuesday after Tuesday, week after week, month after month.

Until that very night when, somehow, Merlin ended up being the drunkest of them all.

He was stumbling around the tavern, always with a tankard of mead in his hand, sometimes even sitting down at random tables and starting talking with people he's never even seen in his whole life, at which point, Arthur would take him away, apologizing for the trouble.

"Come on, Merlin, let's get you back!" the blonde man pleaded, afraid that, a little bit longer and Merlin would reveal his magic.

"No! I ain't going anywhere!" the boy stubbornly stated, while sitting down on the cold floor, arms crossed at his chest.

"Merlin! We're going!" Arthur had now demanded on a serious tone, he himself not being all that sober either.

From the outside, it looked hilarious. The knights were having the time of their life, enjoying the show that their king and his almost boyfriend displayed.

Merlin took a big gulp out of the mead before answering.

"And who are you to tell me what to do?" the boy asked, trying to sound imposing, but failing miserably, not even being able to talk straight anymore.

"As a matter of fact, I'm your king, although you always seem to forget that!"

"I don't forget! It just doesn't have any importance to me!"

"Alright, that's it!" Arthur sighed while bending over, intending to grab Merlin and carry him out of the tavern, just to have half of tankard of ale thrown right in his face.

With painfully slow moves, he wiped the alcohol away from his eyes before looking at the boy in front of him, anger reflecting in his eyes. Merlin watched his king with a wide grin. He found the situation very funny.

"Oh, you're so screwed!" Arthur threatened, voice trembling.

"And what are you going to do, your Prattness?" Merlin teased while trying to get a swig out of the tankard, completely forgetting that it's contents were now spilled all over his friend's face.