I Believed In You

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that I've started another merthur fanfic. This will be an actual book with related chapters and all. I still don't know how long it will be and I'll probably publish the first chapter when I've had at least 5 chapters written.

And these are the two options for the cover

And these are the two options for the cover. You guys vote and let me know which one to use cause I suck at picking.

••

Arthur was gently drawing circles on Merlin's back with his fingers as he watched the brunette's face lovingly. The latter had his head on Arthur's chest and his hands circling the man's waist. None of them was paying attention to the movie they had chosen for that night.

A light giggle of utter delight escaped Merlin's mouth at some point, causing Arthur to smile in amusement.

"What?"

"Your heart, Arthur! I can hear it beating!"

Arthur's heart sunk at the somehow sorrowful words his husband spoke.

"Merlin..."

"Why are you crying?" the raven haired man asked with worry in his voice as he wiped away the tears from his love's eyes, only lifting his head so he could see the other's face.

Arthur couldn't answer right away, but chose to firmly tighten the grip on Merlin's waist and to bury his head in the crook of Merlin's neck.

"Why did you wait for me for so long?" he finally spoke. "Just because some stupid prophecy said that I would return, you chose to watch everyone else in Camelot die one by one and then live in solitude for all these years. All for me! Why?"

Merlin could feel all the guilt in Arthur's voice and it was heartbreaking. It wasn't his fault.

"As I was watching that boat drift away", Merlin started. "taking your body further and further away, all I wanted was to swim back to you, lay down next to you and plunge Excalibur into my chest. To die by your side, like I promised." Arthur's heart clenched into a tiny ball. "You were gone. And without you by my side, I was suddenly very cruelly brought to the reality that my life no longer had a purpose. And in order to live on so I could see you again, I had to give it one. I hand to cling to something, to believe in something. So I chose to do what I did best." Merlin took in one shaky breath before concluding. "I believed in you!"