viii: midnight business

The motorcycle ripped through the chilly wind and thick atmosphere, and splat into Jisoo's face along with bits of Irene's shoulder. Irene is hanging dead tight onto Jisoo's jacket, with her eyes barely open. The small vehicle slide into a corner, with a tight angle and Irene, squished the younger girl's sides.

"Oh my god, Irene unnie ah...." Jisoo grinned when she felt the hands on her hips getting tighter, "You're one of our top-tier agents, can't believe that you're so afraid of speed like this."

Irene didn't respond, she was holding on Jisoo for her dear life and her brain was just flashing images of the messy lights on the busy street. She grunted as wind slapped her little face and flick out her little GPS device tucked in her navy-green jacket.

"The target is...moving, around 16 feet off our location." her brows squirmed in dismay, "To the second corner, then a right turn."

"Gotcha." the younger girl smiled playfully and turned the head of the motorcycle to where Irene directed.

From the peak of Irene's eyes, she can locate a girl in a black blazer over her gray shirt tucked in the denim pants. She wore a black, half-faced mask and the girl was looking back at Jisoo and Irene. She knew the girl was their target and Jisoo also knew.

Their target skillfully slides and speedily drove past obstacle on the wet street, and put the two girls behind effortlessly. Jisoo got annoyed, and quickly grunt as she attempts to increase their speed, as Irene slowly got on her knees at the back of the motorcycle. She looked just like a street performer, and she slid the GPS onto the motorcycle's dashboard as she got onto her feet.

Irene had incredible balance, and she sprung toward the target's vehicle. Her hand gripped onto the motor's backboard and hopped on the back seat. Jisoo smirked as the target panicked which made it easier for her to catch up. Jisoo's black motorcycle swiftly approach the target side, making small accelerations and make the girl stumbled the vehicle. Her motorcycle, with Irene sitting on it, flipped on the side and Irene grabbed the girl's collar to jump off.

They barely landed on their back, and the motorcycle flung itself to the wall, making a small combustion and spark in the wet, empty street that they ended up at. Irene was having a firm grip on the target, and her younger partner quickly hopped down to help Irene immobilize their target.

"You...." the girl seethed as Jisoo tackled her on the ground, her blazer dripped with water, "You're the one that investigates our case, aren't you."

"Yes, and if we can get information from you, your life isn't in danger." Jisoo chuckled as she playfully stood up after stunning the girl.

"Fuck you." their target hissed, even though her situation is quite hopeless.

Irene sighed, and Jisoo starts to dig her hand in the girl's pants pockets and her blazer. A small, black box was found, it was wrapped in a square-cut piece of dim, grey velvet cloth. Irene gazed at the girl, all three of them were people involved in the "midnight business".

In this city, midnight business is none of the citizens or government issues anymore. Agencies and gangs currently roamed the night, but they kept it low and under control. It's like a contract with the government, and the government wouldn't want to lose their forces anyways. Needless to say, midnight lurkers are easy to spot and are immensely powerful so that no normal citizens dare to carry out such "justice" on them.

Irene waited until Jisoo unlocked the box successfully, and let go of the girl. The wet girl streaked away from the two and ran away quickly even with those high-pump heels on the streets. The box was busted open with a pair of lock-picker and thrown into the trashcan nearby, buried deep in the trash. What inside is a crystal figurine with a small chip dug into there. Irene slipped the figurine with her black, thin glove into a small bag they carried with them filled with cotton to protect the chip. Using this small and protective case and easily help them bring the target back to their boss. Jisoo shuffled out to the motorcycle which was parked neatly at the intersection to block their target from escaping and start the engine. Irene followed shortly after she secured the fragile item.

They jumped on after they had managed to wipe the seat clean from the rainwater and splashing liquid on the streets. Irene hated those filthy stuff stuck on whatever, and Jisoo didn't bother to complain. The two got back to the headquarter in no time, and Irene tossed the bag to Jisoo. Her younger partner laughed, "Unnie, I almost didn't make it. Your throw is harshh~"

Irene smiled as she elbowed Jisoo, and stepped out the gate to go home. Jisoo will take care of the reporting for her. An Uber car arrived at a cafe near the headquarter in an instant, and Irene got home within 10 minutes. Irene unlocks the door, dropped her clumpy bag down at the dinner table. Even though she's tired, the rave haired girl will at least make an effort to not make a mess in her own house. She shrugged off the damped clothes and put on a comfortable, oversized shirt to go to sleep.