xiii: difference

"Chaeyong, I need you to analyze this sample." Wendy opened the laboratory door to greet her junior who was wearing a lab coat chewing away a piece of toast.

She handed the slender girl the sample of the fingerprint which she had transferred the print onto a piece of pressed paper. Wendy also gave Rosé the one on the plastic container, where she had another layer of plastic pressed in to protect the print.

Rosé smiled at the sight of Wendy's careful work, her senior always had that air of professionalism whenever she does her work. The taller girl scans the print, check if it matches the original print on the box to make sure it matches and scrutinize the system. A load of data darted up on the long desktop screen on her work table, and a picture of Irene Bae also loaded. Wendy beamed as she walks closer to Rosé while staring at the data that showed up.

"Well, Wendy-unnie you see." Rosé said, "She's wasn't around in the agency business for so long."

"We only spotted her around, like 1 and 1/2 years ago. I would say our system is pretty solid so there can't be mistakes there." the girl with the lighter hair added, as she took another bite of the bread.

Wendy had been in this field for more than 2 years, ever since she graduated high school she officially joined the agency. She had been working as a minor even before that.

"She's inexperience, that's why..." Wendy murmured, "She didn't notice her hand was bare when she took my cracker."

Rosé had a bright grin when she slumps on her comfortable chair, already finished with her toast. Her playful smile put a sigh on Wendy's face as she reached into her little backpack behind her back and took out a packet of cracker. The brunette tossed the snack to Rosé, and the smaller girl catches it with ease.

"You know your target is really pretty." Rosé commented with a playful grin.

"I know, to be honest...." Wendy trailed off.

She was about to say something, but her instinct stopped her words spilling out of her mouth. She would say she was captivated by Irene Bae, and that aura around the older girl is oddly alluring. Wendy sighed and look over to Rosé, who was munching down on her snack.

"You want a report, unnie?"

"Um-mmh."

The printer is spitting out about 3 pages of information about Irene, but not all of them are really relevant. Most them detailed Irene's college work, which might be helpful, but it won't be serving any purpose for her mission. Wendy says goodbye to her cheerful junior and shoved the folder of files into the backpack as she got into her car.

Rosé worked in the analysis laboratory of the agency, it's a separate small building with high-level of technology. Wendy drove away from the building as she set the data to the side.

She knows damn well that this mission is important, but she can say that this mission wasn't the MOST important since the mission was new. The headquarter couldn't even take time to chew up the information and give her a real objective, a mere "investigation" would be so vague that she can freely stretch the rage of her mission. Wendy can remember about the request of the mission, it was a vague investment anyways. Well, she can always take an easy one.

-----

Irene got out of her car as she arrived at a small house. She stepped out and pressed the bell attached to the side wall. A woman, around her age, came open the door.

"Irene!" Seohyun exclaimed and hugged Irene tightly.

Irene patted the girl's shoulder in response to her embrace and the two went into Seohyun's house. Seohyun is a well-trained agent in her agency, very hard working but she quit the agency business to open up a small business. Seohyun opened the fridge and grab a lemonade, as she knew her friend couldn't indulge beer as she can.

They sat on the lounge as Seohyun poured out the beverage and Irene took a cold sip.

"What bring you here?"

"Just tired." Irene dozed off with the cool glass, her back laid back on the comfortable fabric.

Seohyun smiled at that sight of Irene, her little friend is relaxing for once in a while. They had been friends for quite a long time, but Irene keeps stretching herself out too much that even that make Seohyun dizzy watching from the side.

"I called Bogum for help," Irene started, "I was having trouble, with the mission....and the one involved-"

"Your stupid dad." Seohyun cut her off.

Irene smiled, Seohyun always understands her like that. Irene told her tall friend about the call with Bogum and how she request an assistant to make sure the mission gets completed with no casualty.

"I mean, something felt off when I do the investment in the school. I wasn't in this field for that long, you know."

"Your instinct is something I always respect." Seohyun chuckled as she down her drink, reaching out to the big jug to pour some more. She can spot Irene giggling at her comment.

"He said he'll consider it, we have a minor working at our agency right now...hm...he's quite wild so he's not doing any mission yet," Irene added

"Geez" Seohyun exclaimed, "Agencies are dumb nowadays, the guy won't even be safe for you. Irene, seriously...don't let Bogum act that carelessly toward the safety for missions."

Irene got quiet for a bit as she thinks about the importance of the mission, she must get her hand on her father. She knew Bogum, he wouldn't bring harm to her, or at least she believed so. Bogum always has an obvious crush on Irene, and he didn't do anything that would upset her. That makes some people in the agency envy with her, but Irene couldn't care less about them.

Irene spends the night at Seohyun house, and when the clock strikes 8, they went into the bedroom to prepare for the bed. Seohyun's house is nicely organized, and her bedroom had an extra bed folded into the wall. Irene drew the bed down, grab the extra pillows Seohyun tossed to her and laid down. She enjoyed the warm atmosphere at Seohyun house, and her friend did offer her the main bed but she rejects it. Irene fell asleep around 30 minutes after they settled down in the warm room.