1.11

"Alright, Uncle I'm gonna head up" Lei Yang gestured upstairs as he backed out of the conversation. Akbar nodded his head like a chicken pecking rice. "Talk later, mening o'g'lim. Lei ikki are in, with your opa; not that I ever like her, that yashirin ilon" Akbar whispered the insult under his breath. Lei Yang didn't understand exactly what he called her but with the intonation and the ominous 'ill' sound at the start of the second word; he figured that it was not a nice word. He just shook his head and stepped back a bit. Using a couple of steps as a run-up, Lei Yang laid a hand on the bench top and propelled his lower body to jump on a horizontal angle. Using the forward motion and his arm as a pivot, Lei Yang used the bench as a hurdle that he leapt over to land on the other side. I know I could open the bench latch and lift it out the way but Lei Yang always performed these stunts for a minor sense of amusement in an otherwise boring town.

 Bumbling up the stairs while whistling an upbeat tune, he came across his arguing parents and sister. Interrupted by the whistling boy, the fight came to a standstill. Raising a brow, Lei Yang put his backpack on the floor in a corner and took up a chair. Folding his arms over his chest and crossing a leg over his knee. He observed his family just as they observed him. The first thing he noticed was that the Lei couple were in even worse condition than he first thought. Mama Lei was beautiful and actually not that old. In L Country, couples come together at 16 for men and 14 for women. She birthed Lei Chu at barely 15 years old and Lei Yang at 17, making her 34 years old. However, stress and the weather aged her until she looked into her mid to late 40s, her skin darkened and wrinkly from constant exposure to the sun. She was smiling at the surprise of her son's visit, making her crow's feet and smile lines more prominent. Lei Yang didn't scorn her for her appearance, in fact, he appreciated her more for it as it told a story of the toil she had to bare just to give Lei Chu and Lei Yang a comfortable upbringing.

 Papa Lei wasn't fairing much better than his wife, at 36 years old, he was already experiencing a receding hairline and had salt and pepper hair. He would have been an attractive man with a sharp jawline, Phoenician nose and phoenix eyes but the hard work has put a permanent kink in his back which made him hunch over slightly and a noticeable limp created the image of a man rundown in his years of labour.

 Lei Yang swallowed a lump in his throat when he juxtaposed his worn down parents to his obviously flourishing and lively sister. Her natural olive toned skin have been artificially whitened with creams to a jade-like lustre, much like his own skin. Her black hair was scented with rich oils that gave it a healthy shine. Phoenix eyes, small nose, rosebud lips and a small heart shaped face; Lei Chu's visage was 80% similar to Lei Yang's. The only reason it was not 100% similar was that Lei Yang had used a Beauty pill in order to fix the innate imperfections within the human genes itself, the imperfections that stopped a face from being absolutely flawless and gave each human their own unique looks. By taking the pill, he had surpassed human beauty and became something alien altogether. Many would feel he was beautiful but many would also feel indescribably disgusted by Lei Yang's beauty as it fell into the perception of the Uncanny Valley. 

Lei Chu was a similar height to Lei Yang and had similar body proportions however she had sizeable breasts and Lei Yang had a larger ass and thighs than her from his combat training and gym exercises. If both were standing next to each other, one wouldn't wonder if they were siblings. However, if the siblings were to stand next to their parents, it would be a disharmonious sight. This thought wracked Lei Yang with guilt. Though he's been unimaginably busy these past couple years if he had taken some time and consideration to think of Lei Yang's parents, would they still be suffering as much? He was a wealthy man now, having collaborations with large enterprises and having dabbled with the stock market, it would be like taking a few hairs off of an ox to provide suitable living conditions for the Lei couple: nothing worth mentioning. So, what stopped him? It wasn't like he hadn't thought of them before but there was always something stopping him, like there was an invisible wall that segregated them.

 Ah, I know. Lei Yang worried his lower lip and turned his gaze to the ground. It was me. I was separating myself from them. As I live throughout this world as Lei Yang, I, Tian Anjing, have separated myself from the storyline altogether like I was just observing from the sidelines. I haven't fully embraced myself in Lei Yang's life, I keep thinking this is a role I have to 'play' like when I was the actor, Tian Anjing. I'm not actually living this life. As an observer, I have this disconnect from the 'characters' of the 'story'. This isn't a story, no matter if the Company calls the chain of events a storyline or calls the people with integral significance the 'lead cast' or 'minor characters', this is still a world that holds actual living beings, people who have lives that are affected by my actions. These movements of mine, whether I chose to enact them, have benefits and consequences. This is the reality. I'm no longer an actor. In this world, I am whoever's identity is given to me. I am Lei Yang. These are my parents. This is my sister. This is my life. Lei Yang looked up with unknown conviction flashing in his eyes. I need to live out my life as Lei Yang would have wanted to live. Letting go of all restraints that had unconsciously held him back, Tian Anjing gave a quiet prayer for Lei Yang's soul to depart safely on the journey to the Adjurer Company. Tian Anjing is Lei Yang.