2.13

The Emperor and his two sons were checking out the competition so far. They were unable to see the the performances of the candidates however, they could view the paintings they had made. Right now, Edris was staring intently at a painting with furrowed brows and pursed lips, head tilted one way before switching in the opposite direction like a dog listening for instructions. No matter how I look at it, it's still ugly. Yet, familiar. Have I seen this in some museum before or what? He was genuinely baffled as he eyed the 'tree' and it's gigantic earthworm roots, shaggy beard leaves and the polka dot 'cherry blossom tree' across the bank. He snuffled a roar of laughter to the point that his shoulders were shaking. The Crown Prince, Long WeiFeng, was eyeing his older brother and saw the image of Edris' shaking shoulders and had a different impression.

 He thought that Edris was shaking in anger at that particular painting and viewed the piece over his shoulder. He paled in shock when he saw it and saw that the painting was done by his Chi YunQi. He expression relaxed, not worried so much about his Empress for not being a talented artist. He didn't care much for an Empress who was talented in many different artistic things but can't think or fight for herself.  He had made sure to keep an eye on her exploits, after all, what kind of husband would he be if he wasn't assured that his Empress was doing okay. She had more than impressed him, with her looks, manners, personality and uncommon and strong fighting ability. He had decided from the moment he met her that he would take her as his Empress, whether she be talented or a pretty vase just to ogle. If she was useless, he could always get one of his future concubines to bear him a worthy son or daughter, so the Empress can just do her own thing without needing to fret. The only thing she'd be responsible for is to pleasure him when he so desired and to accompany him when on official business. She'd be a pretty arm piece to show off to neighbouring kingdoms, faraway visitors and the citizens of his Empire. At least, that was the plan he set out but his older brother had different plans.

 Long TianShang, his elder brother, was a year older than him and had come at a time when his Emperor Father held the utmost  reverence and love towards TianShang's mother. However, after birth, it became apparent that TianShang was not his own but a child of the then-Empress Hu BaiHe and he subordinate, General  FengFu ZhiHui. Apparently not living up to his name,  FengFu ZhiHui and Hu BaiHe's affair became public knowledge. FengFu ZhiHui committed suicide to repay the Emperor, his friend, he had betrayed. Hu BaiHe, stricken by her lover's demise, joined him soon after, leaving only a note begging for forgiveness on TianShang's behalf. The Emperor, still holding a candle for his Empress, agreed to take on the son left behind by his parents, under the premise of him relinquishing his title as first born son. Even if he was not a son of his, since he was taking him under his wing, TianShang would take his last name but not the right to the throne or anything of remote authority.

 There, in the Palace, it became quite apparent that TianShang was an unfavoured child so when WeiFeng was born, he was pushed even further onto the back burner. Though he couldn't become Emperor, he was able to rise up the position of General due to his own merit, gaining the honest admiration of the Emperor. The Emperor does indulge TianShang by allowing the man to express his opinion on court matters. So when the Crown Prince's Concubine Selection was announced with an already selected Empress-to-be, TianShang put in his two cents and basically said that she should participate as a candidate so that the best Empress can be chosen for WeiFeng. WeiFeng took this as a personal affront, as if TianShang was trying to undermine his authority as rightful heir to the throne. His Emperor Father agreed to TianShang's idea and Chi YunQi had to participate just like any other candidate in the selection. So, seeing his 'angry' brother's shaking shoulders, he felt slightly pleased with his future Empress, managing to kick this brother off of his high horse. He never like TianShang and was afraid that he'd usurp him when he finally seated his buttocks on the throne, killing him off before he could warm the seat. These fears, he'd never admit them to anybody.

 Meanwhile, Chi YunQi and the other five from their room had moved over to the next room. Here they did calligraphy, something Chi YunQi actually was decent at because she had a interest in it in her last life. They also did a game of Go, cards and exchanged rhyming couplets. She had to learn the rules of each of these activities and after playing for a while, managed to do a reasonable job. The final room held many instruments and they were told to play some instruments or sing a song. It was a bit difficult to play many of the instruments so she decided to play the drums in a way that didn't raise too many brows of the bystanders. The final round had been finished and just before the eunuch in charge of announcing the results spoke, a man spoke up. "Just  a moment". 

The man came from the back of the crowd and stood in front of the Emperor in a reverential way. "Your Majesty, I believe that there should be one final round. This round would compose of a mock battle to test each candidate's combat abilities. I believe that as a future member of the Royal family, it is essential that the Empress needs to be able to protect herself as her husband and guards can't always be with her, especially in times of urgency.  Please forgive TianShang's interruption" Edris cupped his hands and bowed his head, getting straight to the point.  WeiFeng stood up in blinding anger at the man's interference. The Emperor looked on pensively and raised a hand to WeiFeng, halting his foreseen tantrum in it's infancy. "Fair enough, General Long, I shall grant you your request. However, who shall challenge them?". 

TianShang looked up in confidence. "I will, Your Majesty".