1.13

[A noose? The thing people use to - you know] Xiao Gou asked, unsure why Lei Yang would use that analogy. [Yes, a noose. The characteristics of a noose are that it's used to hang oneself, it can be tied in a certain way that it tightens when one struggles and the more you try to fight against it, the more you'll sap your strength until you have no choice but to hang there until you suffocate to death. Typically, back when people were hung at the gallows, there were two scenarios a person would go through when hung. The lucky ones would snap their necks on the way down, immediately dying without much suffering, the others... let's just say they were still twitching for a while. What an agonising way to die] Lei Yang painted the scene for Xiao Gou, a horrific image. [I get that, Host. By why the noose analogy?], it reiterated it's question. Lei Yang let his elbow slip off the window sill and folded his arms across his chest, his index finger on his right hand started to tap a constant rhythm on his left arm. 

[Hm, well, I've set up my sister to die. I've knotted her a pretty little noose called money, something to ignite her greed and let her brain start scheming. According to the timeline, in the original storyline, Lei Chu was supposed to have entered University almost two months ago but due to whatever reason, she didn't. I think it might be changed due to Edris and I's interference. Oh, well, that can't be changed. So that means, on the timeline, a week from now is when she is supposed to replace Felicity Lane in the interviews. However, she doesn't know Felicity yet nor has she had the time to build up a friendship in order for her to get Felicity's trust to tell her about the job opportunity. Looks like I'm going to have to create a different opportunity for Lei Chu to find out about it], explained Lei Yang. Xiao Gou was silent for a while before speaking up. [Wait, Host, why do you want Lei Chu to know about the job opportunity? Isn't your mission to help Felicity Lane to get the P.A. job, not Lei Chu?] 

Lei Yang hummed in assent, [Yes, but Lei Chu really let Lei Yang suffer. Now that I'm Lei Yang, I'm gonna make sure everyone knows about her black lotus character. This also helps with three of the missions. One, when Edris Sawyer sees Lei Chu's real character, he won't fall for her no matter how pretty she is. Two, this also stops Lei Chu from befriending Felicity and Tristan, making hooking them up together easier and Tristan won't get seduced by Lei Chu's looks. And three, if Lei Chu's bad character is outed, she won't get the support needed to frame Lei Yang as that in itself is a multi-faceted plan that requires a large set of connections which she would have cultivated using her little white lotus act and her position in Edris' company. Besides, isn't it fun to watch a worm squirm when you cut off it's head?] Lei Yang sadistically chuckled through the communication line, sending a shudder down Xiao Gou's spine, it would have if he did have a spine. [Xiao Gou has said it once, Xiao Gou has said it twice; Host is scary]. The rest of the ride was silent.

 Arriving back at his apartment, Lei Yang peeled off his jacket and backpack, throwing them down on the couch before plopping down on the recliner next to it. Pulling the latch to lift up the footrest, Lei Yang clasped his fingers together and rested his joined hands on his abdomen. Closing his eyes, Lei Yang started revolving around his spirit force, a habit he got into whenever his emotions got excitable. His plans were more or less coming together but he can't help but have this niggling suspicion at the back of his mind that he was heading towards impending doom. He twitched his nose in frustration, like an irritated rabbit. Pinching the bridge of his nose in thought, Lei Yang's mind swirled with a dark mass of clouds. The clouds were forming a shape, the figure of a tall and robust man. The man's features became apparent; the looming figure of Edris Sawyer had his hands outstretched, a malicious smirk playing about his lips and his fingers rushing after a small fleeing Tian Anjing, the mini Anjing was close to being caught in the menacing fingers of the gigantic man in the sky. Lei Yang woke up with a start, heavy sweating, a cold breeze from the open lounge room window had made the sweat cool on his body, the chill making him shiver. 

Getting up to close the window, the dark of the night outside lit up with the vibrant city nightlife. The city indeed never sleeps. The only light on the apartment was the kitchen light as Lei Yang was drinking a cool glass of water. Leaning his body against the bench, his left hand resting in the crook of his right arm elbow, his right hand was pressing the side of the glass against his reddened cheeks, trying to cool down his alarmed body. His furrowed brows loosened as he breathed deep breaths. The dream wasn't like traditional nightmares and many would argue that the dream itself wasn't threatening. But something about Edris Sawyer made him uncomfortable, the existence of the man himself was a huge risk as far as Lei Yang was concerned. He was innately threatening, even more so now that he has become a mercenary. He felt a foreboding chill set in his body. Something was going to happen. There's no way of stopping it so I may as well just take it in my stride.

 Lei Yang's throbbing heart had settled down, returning to its usual pace. He stood there for a bit, face turned up to observe the bugs congregating around the light, their wings fluttering and the bigger ones momentarily blocking out parts of the light and casting shadows on the wall like some strange shadow puppet show. As Lei Yang was zoned out, the hairs on his body stood to attention and his muscles stiffened. His heartbeat sped up and his pupils focused before narrowing in fright. A knock on his front door scared him enough that he jumped a foot in the air. Whipping his head to check the clock, who would be visiting at 2:46 a.m.? Slowly stalking towards the door, Lei Yang stood on his tiptoes to peek through the spyglass. The magnified face of the man of his nightmares greeted him.