ARC 1 EXTRA

The Promise of the Willow Tree.

Set a couple of years before Lei Yang's passing.

It had been many years since Lei Yang first landed in this World. As he had finished all the missions and was just biding his time, he decided long ago that he'd take the time to travel all over this World that was so similar yet different than his own World. So, some years after graduating and coming infinitely close to the milestone called '30', Lei Yang jetted off to the corners of the World on an expedition. Often alone but sometimes seeking solace in the homes, cultures and bodies of the locals of whichever place he was visiting at the time, Lei Yang came across many things that he could look back on fondly and others he could not as they were painful and distant memories. As for the Lei Yang of today, a man of 60, he was enjoying the pleasures of quiet solitude. However, today, he was expecting some visitors. Edris, his wife Aneta, their daughter Ava and her son Mason were visiting his home on the outskirts of lower Devonport. Years ago, he had sold his upscale apartment and traded it in for this quiet countryside mansion set on boundless plains and featured a view of rolling hills in the distance.

 He was seated on a chair on the veranda, a mug of Chamomile tea clasped between his hands, warming his palms in the cool air of dawn. One particular habit he picked up during travel is to wake just before dawn and watch the sunrise. As each new place had a different time zone, no matter how jet-lagged he was or weary of travelling, he'd always watch the sunrise. This habit has been criticised by his friend Edris for many years now, attributing it to some sense that the elderly develop that cause them to rise early and sleep early, calling his comments on the matter 'mystical nonsense that people feel the need to spout after going on a journey of supposed "self-discovery"'. Lei Yang, in turn, would call him 'a cynical old coot'. They would start quibbling amongst themselves, all done in good fun and very rarely resulting in actual fighting. They did that often, squabble and whine about the most trivial things but something they both can agree on is that it keeps them stimulated, something that is much needed, especially as the years go by and their brains start to deteriorate. 

The sun was a good way up, indicating that it was around 7:30 in the morning. Standing up, Lei Yang stretches his limbs and double checked that his dressing gown is not loose. It was around 11:30 before Edris and co. arrived. Ava had clicked on the TV for Mason to watch as Lei Yang puttered around the kitchen in search for that packet of tea biscuits he put away somewhere. "I'd say, my friend, are you getting so old that you can't remember if you even bought biscuits or what, did you already eat them?" Edris said in jest. Lei Yang cast a quick mock-glare at his friend, "ah, ah, I don't know about that. But I do know, old man, that even if I have eaten the biscuits, at least I can walk them off. You, on the other hand, would have them go straight to that gut. Honestly Aneta, how do you put up with that man living off sweets? Hmph" Lei Yang quipped back with a loud harrumph, poking his friend's belly in passing. Aneta covered her mouth to stifle her giggle as they both watch Edris exaggeratedly frown pat his stomach which was nowhere near as fit as it used to be. He was not fat, in fact, he looked good for his age, but it was a simple fact in life that your skin sags and you get fatter as you age. 

After a scrumptious lunch prepared by the women and a Lei Yang in a peach-pink apron, everyone went outside to the undercover seating area in the backyard with some iced tea to beat the Spring weather. A cool breeze that complimented the heat of the sun blew through the green and gold grass that had grown a bit too long but Lei Yang was too lazy to cut, even with the luxury of owning a ride on mower. The breeze causes the wind chime to tinkle, the ambience the sound created amplified the already picturesque view. Talking for a while, Aneta helped her husband up and both went for a nap in the guest room Lei Yang had set up for them. They didn't need directions as the same room was always open for them. As Edris stood up, he stumbled until he held onto the table for support. Lei Yang watched him with a concerned expression. "Right?" he murmured. Edris threw a quick glance at his friend, his mouth turned down in a slight frown before waving his arm in nonchalance. "Yep, yeah, I'm 'lright. My leg becomes numb sometimes but nothing I can do about that. Don't worry about it" he reassured his friend, clapping a hand on his shoulder as his wife helped him pass by.