1.18

Over the next three days, Lei Yang, Lei Chu, Tristan Price and Felicity Lane became lunch table buddies. Tristan changed classes no sooner than the end of the first day and is currently enjoying taking the course he wanted. At first, he was terrified to notify his father but just like Lei Yang said, his father supported his decision and expressed that he was happy that his son didn't go down a path he wasn't full-heartedly committed to. 

At this very moment, Lei Yang was seated on a high stool in an eatery tucked into a forgotten corner of the CBD. Across from him was Edris Sawyer, his nose stuck in the menu with furrowed and concentrated brows. Lei Yang laid his chin on his left palm and watched the man wracked with indecision sitting in front of him. Gesturing to a passing server, Lei Yang's spare hand reached over and deftly pried the menu out of Edris' grip. The server turned to him, his pen poised to note their orders. "We'll take some bō cài miàn, chǎo má shi, liáng cài with more lotus root and tofu and no peanuts, please. Also some jiǎo zi, yú xīang qié zi and niú ròu miàn. That'll be all thanks" Lei Yang ordered for them with a brief glance down at the menu. Edris was confused about the food so he pointed out each dish he ordered and explained in English.

 "Bō cài miàn is spinach noodles. Chǎo má shi is fried mashi which sort of like fried noodles but instead of the noddles, it's something similar to gnocchi. Liáng cài is cold or chilled vegetables, they are literally cold vegetables in a marinade or sauce, depends on the shop's preference when making the dish, though I prefer marinade. Jiǎo zi is dumplings. Yú xīang qié zi is sweet and sour eggplant. And finally niú ròu miàn is beef noodles. Though my father is from L Country and that's where we were born and raised, my mother is from C Country, we siblings grew up on traditional C Country cuisine. Fun fact: my mixed heritages are another reason why I'm multilingual, though you could have guessed that on your own" Lei Yang joked with a wink. Edris' mouth quirked up in amusement and stared at the fairy-like man across from him, finding him more fascinating the more layers he peeled back.

 "Anyway, Edris, I didn't expect you do contact me so soon after our little sleepover" Lei Yang stated and sipped his green tea. Edris grunted and took a sip of his own tea, avoiding the subject as he looked anywhere but Lei Yang. Settling his eyes back onto Lei Yang some moments later, he finally replied. "Well, we're friends now and I did ask to hang out sometime, I just happened to have some time now. Anyway, let's get to know each other, you said you have siblings?" he questioned, backing off the topic altogether. "Yeah, I only have one though, my sister. She's older than me by two years and we're currently going to the same University. She's doing a Business course though. Right now she's been busy harping on about some possible opportunity at being a P.A. of a certain conglomerate owner I know..." Lei Yang hinted. Edris raised a brow before recognition flashed through his eyes.

 "I'm not taking your sister on just because you're my friend" Edris immediately stressed his meaning. Lei Yang sighed deeply, "that is not what I meant. I don't condone the back door method some companies take. Besides, my sister is nowhere near reliable or talented enough to hold such a position. However, I do want to recommend someone to be sent an interview invitation. I only ask for the invitation, if she manages to pass the interview, that is her own issue. Think you can do that?" Lei Yang pleaded for Edris to consider. Edris stared at his expression for a while as their meal arrived at the table. Sighing, Edris nodded his head in silent consent. "I'm trusting you on this person's worth" he murmured. Lei Yang smiled brightly and took out a piece of paper he had prepared beforehand with Felicity's information. Edris was shocked, Lei Yang was so confident that he could convince me that he came prepared? This cheeky... Edris folded the paper and stuffed it in the inner pocket of his suit jacket. "As I said, it's just the interview I'm setting up, the rest is up to her. Just know that I wouldn't recommend her in the first place if she was any less than exceptional" he reassured his friend. Clinking their teacups in quiet cheers, the two men hunkered down for a night of good food and friendly interactions. 

The following day, Felicity got the phone call about the interview, flustering her into silence. A squeal sounded throughout the lunch room, shocking everyone. Realising her outburst, Felicity turned red in embarrassment under everyone's questioning looks. Excitedly stating that she has a job interview after class today to her tablemates, Felicity was positively beaming with a heavenly light like an enlightened monk. Lei Yang inwardly grinned, realising that Edris is keeping his promise. Sending the man a 'thank you' text with a promise to go for drinks the following week, Lei Yang was excited at the possibility of finally being able to start bringing one of his missions into checkmate. Sending Felicity off with wishes of good luck, Lei Yang just had to wait for the results to come out. With one thing going right, Lei Yang was reminded of things that were getting complicated. Though he had managed to set it up so Tristan and Felicity had the chance to start their romance early, the insertion of Lei Chu into the mix was still a variable that he didn't like to keep around. Lei Chu's golden halo was still a worry, as she was still the female lead of this world, her luck was stupidly broken and a downright cheat. So, taking matters into his own hands, he pulled Lei Chu aside on the fourth day after University started.

 Seated on his couch, Lei Chu looked around the apartment with fascination and obvious longing. "Little brother, where did you get the money to rent this place?" Lei Chu asked, the only time he's referred to that title is when he has something she wants. That hasn't changed since they were young. Lei Yang just watched Lei Chu think. Don't tell me he has the hobby of spreading his little white face in big circles? Lei Yang could practically hear what Lei Chu was thinking. Leaning back in his recliner comfortably with the leg rest raised, Lei Yang denied her inner condemnations. "I'm not hugging anyone's thighs if that's what you're thinking. I just made some friends in higher places, did some collaborations with them on certain projects and invested in some profitable stock. The money has gradually piled up over the last couple of years". Lei Chu's eyes flashed with palpable jealousy.

 "Now, now, sister; green is not your colour. I can practically smell the vinegar" Lei Yang sneered. Lei Chu furrowed her brows in fury and puffed up her chest in preparation to give Lei Yang a tongue lashing. Lei Yang continued on, not giving her a chance to seek justice. Lei Chu felt wronged. "The reason I'm telling you this is I'm worried about you while you are living in the city. As you've never really lived here, you don't understand the difficulties there are just to live comfortably. Money, indeed, makes the world go round. And that's what you're lacking right now" he stated the facts. Lei Chu harrumphed, "can't you just lend me some money? We're family after all" she suggested, thinking she was more than justified. Lei Yang rolled his eyes and sighed exaggeratedly. "That won't do, you won't learn anything if it's just given to you. That's why when Mama and Papa called me up the other day with a proposition, I was struck by an idea that will hit two birds with one stone" he raised two slender fingers and turned to gaze at his sister's frame, nodding his head and dropping his hand to his lap. Lei Chu was confused.

 "What did Mama and Papa want?" she questioned cautiously. "Mama mostly called to complain that the house is too quiet now that both children have moved out. She then insisted that she wanted grandchildren to hold and care for, so I am to pick a suitable husband for my beautiful older sister who is of marriageable age" Lei Yang slowly explained as Lei Chu's face morphed into a horrified expression. "Sister, I will find you a husband that is filthy rich, that way you will be guaranteed a stable future. See-" Lei Yang grinned and used his right hand to form a gun, pretending to shoot Lei Chu's forehead, right between the eyes. "-two birds, right?" he finished with a slightly malicious tone that made the hairs on the nape of Lei Chu's neck stand up.