Chapter 1.

August

"Wass'good brotha', how you holding up?" I asked Mr

"Wass'good brotha', how you holding up?" I asked Mr.Guerra while placing his meal in front of him.

"You already know, I'm trying to hold myself up. This your momma cooking?" He looked up at me.

"Open it up and see for yourself." I watched him as he undid the to-go box.

"Ah shit! This is Ms.Sheila's cooking alright!" He grinned and slapped his hands together. "I appreciate all of this."

"You know we got you man. Here go your bed." I slipped him a piece of paper with his bed number on it.

I looked toward the entrance and seen Melvin and Cha greeting folks still. In Houston, there was more homeless people than you could think of.

Tonight a bad storm is supposed to come through so we wanted to try and fit as many people in here as we can - Especially folks with kids.

I walked pass everyone, said hello to a few before making it to the windows to look at the sky. It was getting dark quick.

"Damn." I mumbled to myself.

"Say bruh, I don't think we can let anymore folks in this bitch." Melvin and Cha walked over to me. "We gotta get home to the girls though."

"Aight I'll let mama know." I gave him dap.

"Don't be hard headed and drive out in the middle of the storm August." Cha gave me a look.

I kissed my teeth and looked away from her.

"She right. We know how you is." Melvin added. "And don't try to squeeze folks in here either."

"Man, if worse come to worse, I'm doing what I gotta do."

We all heard loud thunder, causing some folks to jump.

"Get y'all asses home." I chuckled.

"Yea, we out. Call us if you need help with anything." Melvin spoke before walking away.

"Mr.August." I felt someone tug on my shirt. I look down and see one of the kids, Paris.

"Wassup?"

She held out her hand and I seen her tooth.

"It just came out?" I picked her up.