Chapter 11.

Lola
A month later

"Lola Reeds?" The nurse called out for
me. I dropped my phone in my purse before getting up and walking over to her.

"Good evening Ms.Reeds, can you confirm your date of birth for me?"

"May fourteenth, ninety-two." I spoke as I followed her.

"Okay, thank you."

She checked my weight, blood pressure, and height before leading me to a room.

"The doctor will come in shortly. Is there anything you need?"

"No, thank you." I smiled before she closed the door.

I pulled out my phone to see if August had replied to any of messages. I wasn't surprised to see he hadn't.

August doesn't know but I took a pregnancy test behind his back — The test came back positive, so now I'm here at the doctors to confirm it. I didn't want to get too happy and there's nothing growing in me, besides, the test was very cheap.

I sent him another message letting him to call me ASAP. It's not like he was doing anything else important anyway.

August

Since tonight the weather was supposed to be bad again, Me and my family came out to the shelter early to make sure everything was set to go. Even Celiné and her parents came to help. Guerra was still M.I.A though and we have no idea where that man can be. We just hoping he straight.

"August, can you help me with this sweetie?" Celiné's mom, Ms. Christine asked me.

"Yes ma'am. You know you can sit down right? We got this." I spoke while I took the box full of food out her hands.

"Well, I didn't want to just watch you and your brothers do all the work."

"Nah, for real, we got it." I spoke before walking back to the kitchen.

Celiné was in here putting the groceries up. It looked like something was bothering her.

"You good?" I sat the box on top of the counter.

"Yea, I'm fine." She smiled. "Why?"

"You look upset 'bout something." I shrugged.

"Nah." She giggled a little. "Just tired but I wanted to be here to help. Plus, this helps me get my mind off other things, like a distraction."

"I used to say that when we first opened this building up." I nodded, understanding where she was coming from. "Once I quit runnin' the streets, this was basically my escape."

"Why were you on the streets in the first place?" She stopped what she was doing and gave me her full attention.

"I was too young to get a legal job, mama was strugglin' with bills after my pops walked out on us, so I just figured that was my best way to help out." I shrugged. "My first pay was a stack." I chuckled, remembering how excited I was.