Chapter 7

Silver Fortress, the First Galaxy.

The suspension door slid to both sides. Admiral Wolfe and Secretary-General Golden got off the car one after another. Golden politely let Admiral Wolfe go first while he held the door gracefully, bending down and reaching inside, giving his hand to Mrs. Golden, who was still in the car. He leaned towards her and gently spoke, "Do you still feel bad?"

Jingshu Lin nodded with a pale face. Space transfer was requisite if you do not want to spend thirteen days on the way from the capital planet to the Silver Fortress like Commodore Lin. People had been troubled by carsickness, seasickness and airsickness since ancient times, it was not a big deal that Jingshu had a space sickness now.

Golden said: "Authorize Eden please, let it help you by adjusting the balancer."

Jingshu Lin shook her head silently.

After her brother, Commodore Lin's death, Jingshu had shielded most functions of Eden.

The network of Eden was not accomplished in a short time. In the beginning, it was simply used in a very limited area including helping people control domestic appliances and play holographic games. The technology developed in hundreds of years, providing more and more convenience in daily life. As a result, people constantly gave authorization to Eden in the same way as the ancients installed applications in their cellphones.

The Mental Network Protection Law stipulated that Eden must fully inform citizens of the possibility of the disclosure of their privacy; only after being given the authorization can the application be connected. However, people seldom read those terms and conditions which were detailed in millions of words. Anyhow the legislation and supervision were quite strict since the establishment of Eden so that no one had heard of any scandals about privacy disclosure.

Nowadays, openness, tolerance, frankness and freedom of expression were unquestionable political correctness. Except for a few religious who believed that penance was the way of cultivating themselves, only Jingheng and his Ten Squadrons shielded Eden. It was once a crime of Commodore Lin before his death – an unequivocal evidence of his dishonesty and conspiracy, but now it became a merit in his posthumous praise by the government of the Interstellar Union, saying that he was "the first to embrace the pain for the purpose of sharpening himself and his army".

Jingshu remembered her dead brother like an ascetic vegetarian in this way, about which Golden had no objection. He lent her his arm considerately so she could have a rest. His gentleness was a show in the Silver Fortress in some sort, but it is sincere as well — no matter what conflicts he had with Commodore Lin privately in the past, he was still very affectionate with Jingshu Lin.

After all, as such a beauty, she had the privilege to be loved even if she was like a piece of furniture placed coldly at home.

Commodore Li, the new commodore of the Silver Fortress, had been waiting for Admiral Wolfe and the Secretary-General as well as his wife for a long time. Two rows of guards stood behind him in a solemn and neat way, young and handsome with slender legs and thin waist. If looking more carefully, however, there were some strange details which could not be ignored. If ignoring the numbers on their military uniforms, they were so uniformly handsome that they seemed to be hatched from the same egg. They could almost arouse a feeling of trypophobia.

Admiral Wolfe was a veteran who belonged to the established powers in the army. He frowned when he saw these honor guards. Commodore Li explained in a whisper: "There are few Ten Squadrons left now, and the others...the others are all unruly dignitaries as well as rebels, very difficult to control. Therefore we have to transfer a group of artificial humans for the safety of the Silver Fortress. What do you think of..."

Commodore Wolfe interrupted him in a voice dripping with sarcasm: "Excellent idea. I will write a letter to the IU parliament and advise them to send artificial intelligence to govern the Silver Fortress. From then on, robots will command themselves to fight the battles. How civilized and convenient! They don't even need to have intrigues against each other."

Commodore Li was planning to take the robot model honor guards to welcome them, so as to show off his flexibility and open-mindedness. Being satirized by Admiral Wolfe, he did not dare to say anything more, and led the way listlessly.

They went into the Silver Fortress, walking straight into the ground and entered the deepest underground. Admiral Wolfe opened seven sealed doors with the supreme authority of the IU Armed Force. As the last heavy metal door slowly lifted, a huge mech fell into their eyes.

Near glorious perfection, its icy body shining resplendency; it looked like a sleeping dragon.

Secretary-General raised his head, sighing in admiration: "This is Zhanlu."

"Yes." It seemed that Commodore Li was afraid of waking up something, so he lowered his voice unconsciously, "After Jingheng's... no one can awake Zhanlu again. It rejected any spiritual connection, including Eden. Zhanlu is a treasure to all human beings, and the oriflamme of the Silver Fortress. We don't want to force it to connect, you know, avoiding potential damage by doing that. But the interstellar pirates are growing rampant, the IU really needs it. There is no other way so that we have to bother Mrs. Golden."