Chapter 19

The speed at which the blade swung from the mech, even if human response time was increased by sixteen times, they could not evade it. When the burning was felt, it would already be too late to hide. Otherwise, there would be no need to have an automatic defense system in the mech's design.

It was not until the energy blade fell at the corner of the control room and thick dark smoke rose in the air that Bixing Lu — whose eyes were blurry from the dazzling energy blades — was finally able to focus his eyes on the person in front of him.

Lu: "..."

When those damn students played around with that mech, he locked himself in the lab. At long last he was able to swindle out a vehicle and catch up; then, as soon as he stepped in, he ran into the hosts. He played tricks after tricks to get rid of his pursuers before finding his students by following their coordinates, only to almost get shot into the handsomest coal briquette in history for no reason ... Every time Lu felt like he couldn't be any more unfortunate, destiny would give him a surprise at the next corner.

For a moment, scientist Bixing Lu wavered. The idea came to him then to just pick a random religion and worship its god, because it seemed like science could not explain his rough life any more.

Jingheng Lin put him down and put his hands behind his back, asking with a wry smile: "Well, do I need to give you five minutes to organize your thoughts?"

Bixing Lu was just about to speak, when suddenly, he heard something. He shot a glance, realizing the mech that attacked them was making some frightening noise — the particle cannon was warming up!

Even if it was an insignificant light particle cannon in the boundless universe, it was still enough to wipe out all living creatures in a mile radius in a second.

Lu didn't think twice. He estimated the position of his mech, dragged Lin by his arm and ran for his life. At the same time, he turned on the defense system of the mech: "Didn't you see that crazy mech? You just broke in alone. Are you nuts?"

Lin: " ... "

How dare this man say that others are 'nuts'

In the heat of it all, headmaster Lu, the "gentle scholar", had forgotten that he was very different from what he used to be — he was now a drug-using scholar strong enough to dent the lab security door.

This imprudent dragging made the shoulder of Lin's mundane body crack, almost dislocating it. Fortunately, Lin, the ex-commodore, was a tough man who had went through tons of bloodshed and was able to swallow his scream.

Lin clenched his teeth. Before the cold sweat caused by pain came out, he slid out of Lu's grip with a clever flick of his wrist. But just then, the particle cannon had already been fired!

The four kids let out a uniform scream as if they had rehearsed. Since there wouldn't be enough time no matter what, Lu shut the mech door remotely in order to keep the students inside. Then at the same time, he shoved Lin forward, holding his hands up against the wall, and instinctively arched his back to protect him —

For a moment, Lin looked kind of confused; Lu didn't see it. He had instinctively lowered his head and shut his eyes. The last image reflected on his retina, was the long scar that ran across Lin's neck and collarbone.

If one had gone to the dermatologist, got the cheapest salve, taken it home and used it a couple of times, even a person who scars easily would have nothing left on his clear skin. There would be no trouble at all.

Why did he keep it?

It was so malevolent, so furious, just like a vicious dragon with its mouth wide open, ready to devour a man.

Just when Lu was lost in his own thoughts, a huge thunder boomed in the air, much like a howl. Then, a giant shadow rose into the air, just like a roc in ancient legends. With a slight shaking of its wings, it could cover the entire sky. It looked as if it was going to smash the mech launch platform and the entire space station.

The shadow disappeared in a flash, and three of the inactive mech around the corner moved. Just like chess pieces, they stood in a vertical line one after another The core of the first mech was melted by the particle cannon, the docking valve on the side of second mech flew out, the third mech was slightly shaken. The payload from the thundering particle cannon decayed three times and disappeared into thin air. 

It was not over yet.

The mech which had just fired the cannon failed halfway, as if it had been violently invaded by external forces. After swaying left and right several times and crashing into things, it suddenly started its own energy blade and hacked towards itself. It was a solid blow. The whole mech was split down the middle. The energy valve in the square base exploded, and the oval-shaped mech defense system was divided into half like a tofu cut by a hot knife. The cracks on the hull of the mech were like a spider's web. After a few minor explosions, the cockpit popped out like a glass marble from this giant monster. The pilot inside had fainted, shaken by the shock to the mental network — it was 001!