Hoseok

The images of Jin collapsing like that...the evidence of extreme abuse...keeps replaying in my head. I can't stop it. I curl into a ball on the bed and try to muffle my sobs.
Namjoon sighs and slides under the sheets. "You have to calm down, Hoseok. The council member is still here."
I shake uncontrollably. What will I tell Jimin when he asks about his hyung? I don't even know if he's conscious again yet. He could be dead!
"I c-can't tell Jimin." I whisper brokenly.
He looks at me seriously. "Taehyung will probably end up killing him."
I gape. "Why can't you save him! He doesn't deserve this! You are of higher standing than him! Why can't you demand him let him go!" I cry.
He pinches the bridge of his nose. "It's complicated."
"How so! Why is his life nothing!"
"It's not that. Taehyung is trying to overthrow me. If I give in and show mercy then he will use that against me and learn the truth. You would end up dead as well." He explains calmly.
"This isn't fair."
"It's not but it's how it is right now."
He covers my mouth as loud laughing voices move through the hall. Taehyung and the council member. Heading to the bar? Heading to the bedroom? Where is Jin? Is he with them or did they just leave him on the floor to die?
"I have to check on him." I insist, sitting up.
"No." He pushes me back down. "I'll go, alright. Stay put. You are pregnant remember?"
I huff. "So what? You aren't going to mate me so I'm just going to die anyway." I mutter under my breath.
He gives me a look making me flush, forgetting he can hear me. "Pet."
"S-sorry master. I should know my place." I drop my gaze, my eyes falling onto my very small baby bump. "I'm j-just scared."
He gets up without a word and disappears out of the door. I sit, unable to breath, and wait for him to return. He's back within minutes with a frown. "He's gone. I think Taehyung took him with him to the bar. When the council member leaves maybe I can do something but right now I'm powerless with Lu here."
I release a long sigh when he pulls me into his arms and runs his fingers through my hair. I really love his scent. It calms me.
"Hoseok...it's more dangerous for me to mate you than not to." He tries to say.
I don't look at him or even open my eyes. "It's okay. I just don't see why you care about my pregnancy because it's obviously going to kill me soon. Unless that's what you want then why does it matter if I'm careful or not?"
His hands tense on my body before he slowly exhales. "I don't want you to die. I think...I rather like having you around." He admits quietly, kissing my forehead.
I shiver and burrow deeper into his arms. "Can I ask you a question?" I whisper.
"Go on."
"W-Why haven't you mated yet? I mean...you're one of the most powerful vampires there are, you're rich, gorgeous, and aren't so bad personality wise."
"Gee thanks."
My lips twitch into a smile. "You know what I mean. Why haven't you mated? Isn't that very important for keeping your status and power? I'm sure anyone would want to be claimed by you."
He groans and rolls onto his back, staring up at the ceiling in contemplation. "I don't like people—vampires included. I much prefer being alone and most people just annoy the life out of me. I can't imagine being with anyone long term like that. You know vampires live much longer than humans and hybrids..."
My brow furrows. "Oh. I guess I get that. I guess you really don't want to get stuck with someone like me, right..." I laugh but it's a hollow sound.
I feel his eyes on me but don't look at him, embarrassed and hating my weaknesses. "You belong with someone like you."
He shrugs. "I don't really like me so no, I don't want someone like me. I'd end up killing them." He snorts. "I know I've not got the best personality but change is very difficult especially with vampires. We don't like change."
      I take in his honestly. For once he sounds almost vulnerable—at least as vulnerable as a vampire mafia prince can.
     I think over his words. "If you could choose a mate...any mate without having to worry about the council...what kind of mate do you want?"
     He frowns, running a hand throw his hair seeming to ponder my question. "I've never given it much thought but I suppose...if I had a free choice in the matter..." His eyes flicker down towards me before looking away. "I suppose a cute sweet little wolf hybrid isn't so terrible." He whisper.
      A smile stretches over my face and I snuggle deeper into his arms. "R-really? I thought you hated hybrids? H-hated me?"
      His arms tighten around me ever so slightly. "I don't...hate you, I mean. I just...I was raised to always see them as wild animals. Far below us. Humans were bad enough to my father but hybrids? He despised them so much. I never really understood where the true hatred came from until I was older."
      I stare at him with interest. "You figured it out?"
     His mouth flattens. "After he was killed I was going through his things—cleaning out his office. I found old files and records. Our mother died when Taehyung and I were very young. I thought she died of illness but I found out the truth. She cheated on our father with a hybrid."
      I gasp.
      He smirks. "Yeah. She cheated with a hybrid and got pregnant. In a rage he slaughtered them both before the council could. He never wanted anyone to know the disgrace she committed to our family."
      I'm completely shocked. "I'm so sorry."
      He scoffs. "I understood then the anger and pain and embarrassment our father must have felt. His own pure blooded vampire wife wanting to leave him for a hybrid. A wolf hybrid, to be exact." He chuckles bitterly. "Funny. I've held a grudge over that for so long. Blaming the hybrid for corrupting our mother and betraying us all. It really wasn't the hybrid's fault, though. I get it now."
      I rest my head on his chest. "I'm sorry. Do I make you angry? Because of what I am?" I ask, honestly curious.
      He lets out a long breath. "You did. Now I'm just angry at myself. Seems Taehyung is ending up more and more like our father while I'm following the path of our disgrace of a mother. Perhaps Taehyung should replace me."
       "No. You are the better leader. Taehyung obviously would let his emotions and temper take over. You're logical and smart and amazing at handling business. Please..."
      He looks down at me with a soft smile and my heart goes crazy. "I really don't know what to make of you."
     I smile shyly and reach up to kiss his lips. "I think I really like you. Even if it's wrong and...and you can't claim me. I don't regret carrying your baby. I'm proud, actually. Proud to be yours...even in secret. I'll cherish it."
      He trails his thumb over my bottom lip with a hint of something in his eyes that I can't make out. Slowly, his lips connect with mine and I bask in his gentleness and the fact that he actually opened up to me about his family and past.
     It's a breakthrough and I meant everything I said. Even if I die because he can't mate me...I'm happy. I'm happy like this, right now, with him. Until he takes another...I'm his now and that's enough.