Chapter 1 - New Beginnings

Alesha

I never wanted to get married or have kids. I just never saw myself fitting into those glorified roles of wife or mother. When my father died, I was left with my mother who was so broken her only semblance of worth was measured in the boyfriends she'd swap on a biweekly basis. Seeing that made me never want my happiness to depend on another person.

I actually felt sorry for my mom. None of those men were good people and she was obviously unhappy, but she disregarded all my warnings of them. Since my dad's passing, I wasn't her favourite person and, in all honesty, she'd changed so much that she definitely wasn't mine. Last I'd heard she'd broken up with the last guy for an old flame, one I wasn't too fond of. Her focus was always limited to whatever man she had in her life, so I cut my losses a while ago.

I could never be that caught up in a man. I hated the idea of going to school and working my entire life just to end up 'settling down' somewhere behind a white picket fence, raising kids and catering to some guy. While most girls had these dreams since they could walk and say, 'I do', for me somewhere down the line I lost the desire to stick around waiting for someone to come save me and take me someplace better than where I was. I could only depend on myself, not my mom, not my dad and definitely not some wannabe knight in shining armor.

I couldn't have any distractions stop me from leaving that place behind. So, school became a priority, I avoided boys and the trouble they would potentially bring and worked my ass off to graduate valedictorian.

Leaving for college I had my best friend Danielle by my side, the one person who I loved and trusted more than anyone. We were the only family each other needed. Her parents sort of divorced her while they were divorcing each other so it was like she didn't even exist anymore. They threw money at her and supposed she'd figure it out for herself. After graduation we didn't wait for our caps to hit the ground before we were on a flight to New York.

I'd gotten into Parsons with a scholarship and Dani refused to part ways, especially if we'd both be studying design

I'd gotten into Parsons with a scholarship and Dani refused to part ways, especially if we'd both be studying design. For tuition her parents didn't put up a fight paying out her $950,000 inheritance early as long as she didn't "come crying for any more money". They didn't ask where she was going to school and didn't bat an eye when we left.

We'd found a really cheap, crappy apartment in a shitty neighborhood that would at least keep a roof over our heads while we worked and went to school. Dani wanted to use her money on a high-rise apartment in upscale Manhattan for us, but I had to convince her to save it in case she runs into any trouble down the line.

We were beyond proud of ourselves and each other when two years into college, we were headhunted by big name companies, Dani for interior design and me for fashion. After a year with her company, Dani was scouted by some bachelor to design his mansion. She took the offer and ended up impressing the guy so much he hired her as Head of Design for his businesses.

She had been working with him for a year now and could not stop gushing about him and his super private upper-class family who stayed away from the spotlight. Her admiration of those people seemed a little biased since she's been dating his brother Rafael for 7 months now.

I couldn't disagree with what I'd already seen though. Whenever I played 3rd wheel it was clear they really were perfect for each other. He treated Dani like she meant the world to him and that was good enough for me. I was happy she'd managed not to let her past affect her the way I was unintentionally letting mine affect me.

-

All that led here, to me waiting for a blind date who was already 10 minutes late. Dani was obsessed with me getting away from work and actually living a life. Being 24 years old and harboring slight shame of my inexperience with the opposite sex convinced me to let her guide the reins of my love life.

I'm now regretting that decision.

Knowing Dani and the type of people she's been hanging out with, my date will probably be some trust fund baby and by the looks of this restaurant he picked, this guy probably oozes frat boy hoping to take over daddy's company

Knowing Dani and the type of people she's been hanging out with, my date will probably be some trust fund baby and by the looks of this restaurant he picked, this guy probably oozes frat boy hoping to take over daddy's company. I overheard the host telling a couple that no walk-ins were allowed; at this point I'd gladly give them this table and go find a Chipotle joint.

I started chuckling thinking of what mindset I must've been in to allow Dani this kind of power. Looking up to find a waiter, I noticed a tall, bearded, dark haired man approaching me. Taking in his suave appearance I try to prepare myself to not stutter knowing he probably just wants to borrow a chair for his wife who's no doubt a VS model.

The closer he gets the faster my heart starts thumping out of my chest and try as I might, I can't remove my eyes from his face because he is just that damn fine. Flicking the hem of his jacket out of the way, he dipped his hand in his pocket revealing how nicely the white dress shirt clung to his torso. Goosebumps. Stopping in front of me I see a cocky smirk resting on his lips. Not breaking eye contact, I return a shy smile embarrassed he's just caught me mentally undressing him.

 Not breaking eye contact, I return a shy smile embarrassed he's just caught me mentally undressing him

"You must be Alesha. I hope you haven't been waiting long." He took his time examining my sitting figure, his eyes faintly darkening from a glossy emerald to a deep forest green. As my cheeks started heating up under his gaze, he realized my nervousness and continued with a smile. "I'm sorry for staring. It's just... Dani didn't really brace me for who I'd be meeting. Now I'm just a little pissed it took her this long. I'm Christian by the way." He pulled his hand from his pocket and stretched it out to me.

His warm palm enveloped mine sending a tiny shock to my nerves. He stood there looking down into my eyes as if trying to read my mind, not knowing the longer I held his hand the harder it felt to breathe. "Y-You're not what I expected either, but it's a pleasant surprise... Hi."

His smile widened to a toothy grin making his insoluble demeanor seem friendlier. Leaning down he pressed a kiss to the back of my hand before releasing it and taking a seat turning his attention to the drinks menu, I took in a soft breath, already missing his touch.

"See anything you like?"

JJ x