Chapter 26 - Why Are You Here?

Christian

"Sweetheart why don't you go home and take a shower? Maybe try eating something and get some sleep? You haven't eaten in days, you look so tired, and you still have.."

Grams' eyes travelled down to my chest causing me to look down at my dress shirt smeared with dried blood. Seeing the stained fabric made my pounding headache beat a little harder. She was probably right, I must look like shit especially given that I haven't slept the past 3 days. "I'm not leaving, I don't want her waking up here alone."

"She won't be alone. I'll be here til Danielle takes over later and then you can come back and spend the night. Christian, you won't be able to take care of her if you can't take care of yourself."

"Could you just ask Raf to bring something for me to change into and I'll take a shower here." She glanced at me pitifully, her eyes begging me to listen to her advice. Everyone who's come by to visit A has been sending me that same frustrating stare, as if this was her end and she was gone, but mostly because they probably blame me just as much as I do. "Grams, I appreciate what you're trying to do but just.. please."

"I'll make sure somebody gets you a change of clothes

"I'll make sure somebody gets you a change of clothes. Do you want something to drink or maybe I can order some of those tacos Alesha bought from that food truck? You loved those." I didn't give her an answer or move from my position, just waited for the talking to end. "I'll get some in case you change your mind."

I just wanted to be alone with A, so I was relieved when Grams' heels started making their way to the door. That's until I heard the commotion happening outside. I shot up and stepped in front of her heading toward the noise.

Opening the door, I watch as the tall, scrawny, disheveled man stood in front of Dominic demanding he move out of the way and allow him into the room.

I spoke out already annoyed at the idea of them disturbing Alesha in some way. "What's going on out here?"

"I don't know who any of you are, but the nurses told me the person I'm looking for is in this room and I'd be grateful if y'all would get the hell outta my way and mind your own business."

"Sir, I think you've got the wrong room. This is a private suite for one patient." His clothes hung off of his chalky brown skin which looked as if he had been constantly scratching at it. His pupils were dilated, casting a shade, making his eyes look almost entirely black.

"Devon?! What are you doing here?" As soon as Dani had rounded the corner her voice bellowed through the halls gaining everyone's attention. "Why are you here?!" She repeated the question with more force and disdain in her voice, letting me know this man wasn't a friend but a threat, one I wasn't risking.

I grabbed him by his arm and dragged him into the room, raising my gun to his head. "Dani, am I pulling the trigger or not?"

She didn't say anything, just looked on at the older man as if mentally weighing my question. After a moment of staring the man down, Dani finally spoke "Answer the question or leave. Don't do either and he will shoot you where you stand. Why are you here?"