Chapter 23 - Ms Esther

Danielle

The brightly lit hospital room was a stark contrast to the mood right now. It was dark outside meaning visiting hours are probably over soon. My sister was still laid up in this uncomfortable ass looking bed, exhausted from all the crying she'd been doing since Chris stormed out of here. I love this girl with all my heart but she is so stubborn sometimes. I know she had her reasons to be, but damn. It hurts having someone you care about go through so much and not be able to fix it all for them.

I agreed with Chris that she had to give him a fair shot but I will cut my own arm off and eat it before I publicly side with someone else over my best friend.

If only he put his man-whore ways aside and actually dealt with her patiently like an adult by giving her the time she needed. I think I did enough scolding and cussing after we found out he was sleeping with the receptionist from her office. Yes, that hurt her, but I know for a fact that the trifling heifer has nothing to do with Alesha rejecting him again.

She's scared. Of course she's scared. I'd be worried if she wasn't. I knew our past would fuck her up. How could it not? But it's been years, why let it affect us now when we're enjoying life? She deserved to be happy, she deserved to have someone put her first, she deserved him.

"Did you let him leave because you really don't think you two would work out? Or did the idea of letting him in scare the shit outta you?" I kept my voice levelled not wanting the words to come out harsh or heartless. My attention stuck on her puffy, red eyes waiting for a reply.

"Dani, I don't feel like doing this right now. I've got a lot to figure out. Please just- not right now." She laid her head back on the padded white pillows, staring up at the ceiling.

She sounded so lifeless and her eyes were so dull and emotionless, I was instantly reminded of the girl 9 years ago wh-

"I never wanted all this. For the first time in my life I was feeling free and normal like I didn't have all that baggage following me around."

Her words broke my heart. I scooted my chair as close to the bed as I could, holding her hand in mine. "It wouldn't be baggage if you told him and got it off your chest. I'll never know why you see all of what you went through as a weakness. Do you know how strong you are? How fucking amazing? For someone to experience everything you have and make it out the other side like you did? These people want us in their lives Lee. Don't push them away."

When I felt the warm droplets hit my chest, I wiped away the tears I didn't know were falling from my eyes.

"Have you told Rafael everything?" She turned her head to the side looking back to me.

"I'm marrying him for Christ sake. Of course I've told him about his fucked up future in-laws." That got her to let out a small chuckle. "I didn't tell him about you though, I figured it wasn't my place."