Chapter 11 - Meltdowns and Freakouts

Christian

"You know? What do you mean you know?"

"How could I not know about the illustrious Marino family? I've been waiting years to take you down and I've finally gotten you all alone."

I just stood there, speechless. I was being played this entire time? I'd taken every cautionary measure I could. My heart was beating like a jackhammer and wouldn't let up. How the fuck did I let this happen?!

 How the fuck did I let this happen?!

"Holy shit, baby I'm kidding. Do you wanna sit down? You look like you're about to pass out."

She dropped her things to the floor and rushed over, leading me to the couch at the other end of the room. I was still processing her cruel joke as she coolly flopped down next to me. "Did you really know?" She nod her head, while casually using her hands to fan me down. "How did you know?"

"Danielle told me. Over a phone call. In the middle of the night. After she found out from Rafael."

I put her hands in mine to stop the erratic fanning that got more aggressive as she explained. "I'm sorry. Raf wasn't supposed to say anything."

"What do you think I'm mad about right now? Because Rafael ain't it. It's the fact that I'm hearing things about you second-hand. It doesn't matter if it's from my best friend or my worst enemy, you should've let me know from the jump."

"Trust me, I get that, but this one isn't just a regular white lie. I promise though, it won't happen again."

"Better not. Must think I'm playing with you." She mumbled under her breath, purposely clear enough for me to hear. "I mean I had my suspicions about what you actually did for a living but I should've known. To be honest it was either something illegal or a secret family no-one knew about. Since we met you've always acted shady with the 'private family business', leaving dinners early, taking mysterious phone calls you didn't want me to hear, then yesterday I noticed Sebastian following me, but what really brought it home were the guns. You know I'm not blind, right?"

"Your little act wasn't funny, I could've killed you

"Your little act wasn't funny, I could've killed you."

"Would that have been before or after you passed out, Mr. Mafia? You were turning so pale, looked like you'd seen a ghost."