Chapter 12 - The 1%

Alesha

It was already the Saturday of the charity auction and we've managed to get by a month without any more drama from ex girlfriends. Y'all know what bitch I'm talking about. I've been looking forward to this dinner all week. Since Charlotte had nerve to stop by the house and demand Christian be her date, he figured there was no better way to make us official and put an end to her than taking me instead.

After being talked into cashing in some of my unused vacation days, we spent all of this week under one another, but I needed a break. Since we got together he hasn't let me go, I was walking around like a pimp with a bad limp for a good few days.

I only got away long enough to go dress hunting then for lunch with Dani. Only my best friend could leave everything to the last minute and still end up finding something one of a kind and drop dead gorgeous. After dropping her off at her and Raf's apartment, I headed back to my place to pick up my dress, then I was straight back to Christian's to get ready.

Walking through the front door I'm hit with the scent of his cologne, I love that freaking smell. Stood in the foyer, he was in a heated conversation with whoever was on the other end of the call. My eyes could only focus on his body and how handsome he looked, dressed in a crisp black tuxedo that clung perfectly to every inch of his skin. He spoke with a roughness in his tone making him even sexier. I just wanted to- wait... is that Russian?

"Она не вовлечена в это

"Она не вовлечена в это. Я хочу Васильева. Приведи его ко мне... живым. Найти его. СЕЙЧАС!"
(She is not involved in this. I want Vasiliev. Bring him to me... alive. Find him. NOW!)

He moved the phone from his ear, ending the call with a scowl etched on his face.

"What's got you so pissed? Were you speaking Russian just now?"

He looked up surprised to see me standing at the door, his expression relaxed into a warm smile as he made his way over to me, gently tugging me into him. He captured my lips in a sweet kiss before pulling away leaving me wanting more.

"Don't worry about that. This the dress?"

He pointed to the garment bag hanging off my pointer finger.

"Yeah. I'm pretty excited about this dinner. In college I used to volunteer at the women's shelter this charity works with, you have no idea how much this money's gonna help them."

"Everyday I learn something new about you." He started trailing his lips down my neck until finding his favourite spot on my collar bone.

"How do we donate anyway? Is it gonna be like a donation box? Is this an offering bag situation or what?"

He pulled his head back and chuckled lightly, amused by my questions.

"Babe that's not how these people do charity events. The donation money's collected from the tickets."

"Okay, so how much should I bring for the tickets?"

"They're 15 a plate and have already been bought. You know I hate you using your money if you don't have to. I have enough to spare for shit like this."

"Christian, please not again." I trailed off dismissively not wanting to have this conversation for the umpteenth time. "If these dinners are only 15 bucks why is it only the rich and famous that get the invites?"

"You're adorable, you know that? It's 15 thousand." He said nonchalantly.

My eyes widened and I'm pretty sure my jaw is hitting the floor. They're all really about to spend that much money to dress up, drink champagne and eat small portions of decorative food? "I'm sure they'd help a lot more if they scrap the expensive wine and barely-there food and just give all the money to the shelter."

"It's more about keeping up appearances than it is about the actual charities." He shrugged and I couldn't help the look of slight disgust that showed on my face at how indifferently the words left him.

"I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm just saying it's a thing. Plus, our family charities that Grams manage, more than make up for the shambles these guys claim to invest in."

Yet again, he's redeemed. Is it bad when you don't notice any negative traits in your partner? It has to be, right? No one can be perfect, it's not possible, yet this man right here checks all the right boxes. Or it might just be that since finding out about his actual 9-5, I've been putting off learning the ins and outs of it all, scared to know what he's done and who he is outside of being my Chris.

I'm asking him to tell me everything. Tonight. After the dinner. I just don't know if I'm ready to learn what kind of things the man I'm in love with is truly capable of, but I'm gonna find out.
Wait.. In love with?!
Hmmm
I love him.

Feeling a slight unease at how vulnerable I felt using that word, I tried distancing myself from him, but his grip on my waist tightened

"I have to get ready."

I pushed my way out of his hold and started running upstairs feeling his eyes latched on my every step.

"Stop staring at my butt!"

"It's my butt too now."

He ain't lying.

JJ x