Chapter 40- Flowers Only Die (End)

Valerian wakes up and he knows that he has to go to work today, and he was going to surprise Hailey. He knew that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. So, he was going to tell her that he loved her. He also wanted to propose.

He felt a bit nervous, and he had measured her ring size when she was sick. He got dressed and he got to work and he senses a weird atmosphere.

He is greeted as per usual, he wanted to pass by Hailey's work station, but he thought better of it. He would see her later on in the afternoon.

The whole day is dragging and finally, it is time to go home. He gets books from Clara, and he quickly scans through them. He also sees Hailey's work is in there but she usually bought it herself and he looks through it when a letter falls off.

He opens it.

"My Dear Valerian:

I hope you receive this letter, Things have not been going easy for me. Please don't blame yourself because I thought about it long and hard last night. I had a wonderful time with you and I hope everything goes well for you. I do not belong here and everything that I feared finally happened. Please do forget me. By this time, I will be long gone, I left my resignation letter with Matt, he will give it to you. Please do not look for me, because I do not want to be found.

Bye and have a happy life.

Yours, Hailey."

He crumples the letter in his hand.

Valerian drives to Matt and finds him waiting outside. "Where is Hailey?"

"I also don't know, I wanted to ask you that very question, she just left me two letters, and one is her resignation letter for you."

"You have no idea where she could have gone?"

"No Valerian, I don't! The last time I saw her was last night and she said she had a hard day at work. Care to explain?"

"I wasn't at work!"
Valerian takes out his phone and dials Clara, she answers immediately "Evening Sir."

"What the hell happened yesterday to Hailey whilst I was gone."
"It's that.." then Clara tells him everything that happened with Charlize and Hailey. He drives over to Charlize's house.

"Valerian I wasn't expecting you."
"Charlize, leave me the fuck alone, if I hear you bothered Hailey or sent people to her apartment there will be hell to pay!"
She blinks back tears "are you forgetting what we had, a whole three years you are willing to throw away for that tramp!"

"Don't fucken call her that Charlize, I love her and it's time you moved on!"

She looks broken at his words. He walks away, and gets into his car, he tries to dial Hailey's number but to no avail. Valerian then drives to her apartment. It's locked but he manages to break down the door and it is empty inside. He sees the flowers he gave her withered, there is a small letter next to them

"Nothing lasts, flowers only die."

Book Two is up: www.patreon.com/taniashava

A/N: Thank you for journeying with me through this book and thank you for reading.
Thank you so much for the support and reads. Book Two is up: www.patreon.com/taniashava💚